Monday, February 13, 2017

SPENDING THE NIGHT IN THE HOSPITAL

Joe wasn't feeling too good yesterday and so did not make it to church.  He really wanted to go since it was Communion Sunday and we were having our Friendship Feast after church, but just didn't feel he could do it.  So I brought him some lunch home.  Beef stew, penne pasta, green beans and scalloped potatoes.  I took it to him in bed and he ate up.  Everything was good and he loved it all.

We were both full and didn't eat dinner, just went to bed.  Around 11:30 p.m. we were watching TV and we heard the wind pick up.   I had forgotten to take the trash can to the back yard.  It was still in front of the house from trash day.  I started to get up to do it and Joe told me he would do it.  I said to him that he wasn't too steady on his feet and he said he would be fine, put on his jeans and shoes and left.

A couple of minutes later I heard him screaming, "Help me!  HELP ME!"  I went running downstairs and here he was coming in the front door covered in blood and with what we thought was a broken finger.  He asked me to take a picture of it.  If you have a weak stomach, don't look.


I quickly got dressed and we rushed to the hospital.  Center city doesn't have very much traffic around midnight.  I parked outside of the ER and asked for someone to bring out a wheelchair.  They did and as he was being wheeled in I went to find parking.

He had x-rays, cat scans, blood tests and who knows what else done on him.  Because the blood was pouring from the cuts around his eyes and the cut on his chin they thought he might have injured his neck and so immobilized it.  His clothes are covered in blood.  I don't know if I can get it out, but I will try.  The nurse told me to used hydrogen peroxide.


Here is the scrape on his arm.  He must have hit the back step because of the way it's a 90* angle.
 

Joe's finger was not broken, but dislocated.  The doctor set it and he said it feels 100% better.  He also got four stitches in his chin.  When Joe falls, he does it right.
 

We got there around midnight and I stayed until about 5:30 a.m. when Joe insisted I come home to get something to eat and a couple of hours of sleep.  He wants clean clothes, a pair of glasses since his were broken, his Bible, and one of his medications which they don't have there.  He also wants me to run a couple of errands for him before I come back.  He is being held in observation for a couple of days.  Probably coming home on Tuesday, but maybe Wednesday.  The one doctor thinks the culprit to his frequent falls is one of his medications and they will see what they can do about changing the dosage.

Please pray for Joe.  Thank you in advance.

Kathy

34 comments:

  1. Praying for Joe (and you). They'll get this figured out - medications so often have to be adjusted. Keep us posted and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Belynda. The prayers are really appreciated. He was released last night and I am trying to get him an appointment with his primary doctor today. They did adjust some of his medications in the hospital so hopefully that helps.

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I am praying for Joe and of course for you too! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. Prayers are greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Kathy, I am so sorry about this . I will pray for Joe. Meds can be a help and they can also be scary. I hope the drs. get it right. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie. He is feeling better today after they adjusted the medications last night. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  4. Oh how scary! Although no one loves being in the hospital, it's good they are keeping him while med changes are being made. Praying for you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very scary. Especially when he came through the door covered in blood. He was released last night and is staying in bed today. Thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, dear Joe you took a beating !
    Sending healing wishes your way, and keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.
    ~Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure did. Remember if you are fighting concrete the concrete usually wins! Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gracious! Praying for him. How awful

    ReplyDelete
  7. If one of those meds is metformin, absolutely, we may have had this conversation before. hope he feels better. All because of a stupid trash can. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not metformin. He has been off of that for years. It is his blood pressure that keeps falling so low.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Adding your Joe to my prayer list. Peroxide will work, but Clorox 2 also does a great job on blood. Good luck and I hope they can get the meds figured out and he will feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers, Terri. They are very much appreciated. Peroxide got most of the stains out, but his new jeans are just ruined. I told him I would buy him another pair.

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear this, I'll be praying for Joe and for you. That sounds so frightening, hope he's home soon. Take care, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jenny. It was very frightening. He came home last night.

      Delete
  10. What a fall! The finger looked bad, glad to hear it was just dislocated. He must of fallen hard.
    Glad to hear the Dr. will be looking into the cause of Joe falling.
    You take care of yourself!! Yes, prayers are going up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did fall hard. He has been having a lot of trouble keeping his balance. In the hospital they said it was because of his blood pressure dropping too low. Thanks for all your prayers.

      Delete
  11. Oh how awful! I have never seen a finger at quite that angle! This is how my father landed in the ER twice a few weeks ago...medications that were making him woozy. May they get it all sorted out so that Joe will be feeling himself soon. You tske care, too, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vee. He is much better today. The doctor put that finger back in place in seconds. I've never seen anything like it. Hope your father is doing better too. It's not fun for sure.

      Delete
  12. Praying for Joe's healing and for you as well. What a fall he took and glad you were quick to get him help. Oh dear me! Sorry he's not been feeling well lately either. Meds can mess a body up for sure and hopefully answers are on the way! God bless you both in the days ahead! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Becky. Prayers surely help. He is much better today. Got sent home last night but is staying in bed.

      Delete
  13. Oh my! What a nasty fall! Russ & I will keep you both in prayer.Sounds like a good doctor,wanting to check out the meds dosage.Praying it all works out for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers. Joe is home now and resting in bed.

      Delete
  14. Oh, Kathy! I am so so sorry. I just don't understand why things like this happen to such good people. My heart aches for both of you...him because of the injuries and health scare and I feel bad for you because I know you just feel helpless to help them sometimes. I am glad he is not hurt any worse.

    I hope they can get his meds straightened out. Poor guy! Adding you to my prayers. Love to you- Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad things happen because we live in a fallen world. It will be much better when we get to heaven. Thanks for your concern and your prayers. Love you, Diana.

      Delete
  15. Oh Kathy...what a horrible fall. I am so so sorry! No more going out after dark! This must be very painful! Y'all take good care. Hugs for feeling better. That's a really nasty fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is painful for him and he is having trouble sleeping. He just got to sleep and I have to wake him up in an hour to go to see the doctor.

      Delete
  16. Oh, no! Joe really took a bad fall and I'm so sorry! It hurts me to look at him. Prayers for a quick healing and for you as you nurse him back to health. Hope you are able to get some rest.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shelia. Your prayers are very much appreciated

      Delete
  17. All the best to you both. Here's hoping Joe is back home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hoping you guys are on the mend over there......
    Blessings to BOTH of you.........:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.