Thursday, September 22, 2016

MARIANNE STORIES #37

I just love my friend Marianne's story of this boy who takes things literally.
 
June 18
12-yr-old Labicq, a Bangladesh boy, was volunteering at our Summer Reading Game Table. He is very literal, and often doesn't get implied humor or metaphor or commonly used idioms. He was very patient with some of our more difficult customers as he explained our Summer Reading Game rules. One woman, a Puerto Rican, seemed to give him a particularly difficult time, all due to language issues, hers as well as his. I made a joke saying, "Are we all speaking English right now?" The woman laughed, but he said, "Ms. B, what language did you think we were speaking?" After the exchange was over, I told him he was a very good sport. His response: "Actually, Ms. B, I'm not very good at sports!" 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, That's a cute story. I love children and like to see how they think things thru. Blessings, xoxo, Susie
    p.s. today was a good autumn day here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it takes a child to show us..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.