Saturday, September 3, 2016

A BUSY SATURDAY


And it has seemed to.  It is beautiful, overcast and cool.  The perfect fall day.  Warm enough that I don't have to wear a jacket, cool enough to be invigorating.  Ahh...

It looks like we may have missed Hurricane Hermine.  It is cloudy here now, but no rain.  And the forecast is not predicting rain either.  Originally we were to have rain tonight and into tomorrow. 

I am excited for tomorrow.  For the first time in 13 months we will have a pastor at church.  And not a visitor, but our very own.  I have never gone this long without a pastor.  At least not in my adult life and I guess I really didn't bother with such things when I was a kid.

Today Jim was at the parsonage fixing the front door lock.  Joe was at the church meeting the exterminators.  Yes, we are evicting our little vermin friends.  As Joe said, they will have to have their revival meeting in the park, not our building.  I, of course, had to drive Joe.  So after sitting in the car for awhile, I decided to go inside and do some work.  Let me tell you, there is ALWAYS something to do at that place.

I went into the pastor's office which I have been using while we didn't have a pastor.  Well, everyone really has been using it for one thing or another.  I looked at the desk and decided I wanted to do something to make it nice for Pastor Ralph coming in.  So I took everything off of it, scrubbed it down with a Clorox wipe so that it would be disinfected, and then neatly put things back.  I got rid of a lot of stuff that really should never have been on his desk.  I left the accounting stuff in an inbox for the treasurer tomorrow where he could easily find it, and sorted the mail and put it in piles according to what it was.  Magazines were put in neat piles in the bookcase, and the paperclips, rubber bands, pens and pushpins were all collected and put in cups where they belonged.  Then I moved all the chairs to places that made sense (they were just all thrown together in one place) and emptied the trash can.  How nice it looks now!  And I didn't even take a picture!  I'll have to do it later.  I'm sure when Pastor Ralph gets there he will move things around to where he would like them to be, but at least it is clean for him to start.

Then I got into the closet and very carefully because of my back got a few autumn things out.  I changed the wreath by the front door from spring/summer to one with autumn leaves.  I love this wreath.  It's so pretty.  It's the same one I put up last year.  Here's a picture of it from 2015.


I put vases of fall leaves on the tables for Fellowship Time.  A fall runner and a stuffed pumpkin replaced the summer cloth and vase of flowers on the back table that holds the welcome sign and the church bulletins.  I will take a picture of that tomorrow too.

Then I went through the literature table and got rid of all the old stuff while straightening up the things that stayed there.  

Everything looks so fresh and clean and I am very happy with it.  There are still some things to get out, like the autumn wreaths for the windows and I was hoping to put the curtains back up, but this is a very good start.

Finally Joe and I took all the old pew Bibles out of the room and packed them up.  We put out the new Bibles and straightened up the hymnals.  It was a puzzle to figure out how to place everything so that every row would have the same number of books, but we finally did it.  Then we straightened all the chairs.  I am so happy.  I love to make the Lord's house look neat, pretty and inviting.  Now if I could only make my own house look that way.  I'm working on it.  Why is it always easier to do someone else's house?  Or your desk at work?  Or your office?  Or even your church?  *sigh*

I had made a list of "must do" things while I was waiting for Joe.  There were 22 things on the list.  I've done 6.  Why?  Because I fell asleep again.  I am not sleeping well at night and then I am so tired during the day.  And I did a lot at church.  But at least the brownies for Fellowship Time tomorrow are baked.  I want to do some cookies too.  The brownies are gluten free so our pastor's wife can eat them.  How awful to come to church on your first Sunday and not be able to have a treat!  I want to make cookies also because I don't think one pan of brownies is going to be enough.  Or maybe I can make cookie bars and just cut them apart in the morning.  Hmm...

I think I will get started on that now.

Since I didn't have a bunch of pictures to show you today, I thought I'd share with you another "Picture from the Past."  Here is a picture of Joe from September 12, 2011.  I know you can all tell where this was taken.  Cracker Barrel of course.  And he hasn't changed a bit in 5 years.


Have a good night everyone!

Kathy



12 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling like doing a few things after hurting your back.
    I'm so happy you have a pastor now. Our church is on the large size plus we have two schools there ....one affiliated with the church and one not. A pastor has a heavy load to bear. August was so very hard for ours. He preached the funerals of three dearly loved members.....one a young mother who was extremely active in church and who died when a tree fell on her tent during a storm. She was at a Boy Scout Camp up north. He visited us during Kailey's surgery and is one of the kindest and humble men I've ever met in the ministry.
    I envy you fall like weather. Still very warm in Texas but not extreme heat now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so happy to have a pastor too. He's a great guy and you are right about how much of a load a pastor carries. I heard about your member's death on the news. That was so sad.

      Delete
  2. Our weather has been cool lately which is nice finally. Glad you were able to make the new pastor's office tidy. Busy day for you. I've done some tiding up at home but still have more to do. A little at a time works better for me as there's a few things to get rid of. Hope your back is better soon. Hugs and prayers and enjoy your new pastor and family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is LOTS to get rid of in this house. We put out bags of trash each week. That's what happens when you are sick and still working full time. I have discovered the way to do it for me is tackle one thing in one room at a time. Looking at the whole picture is overwhelming.

      Delete
  3. What a thoughtful thing to do! Clearing the pastor's desk is a nice way to welcome him. When I do things like that it makes me feel good as well,even if nobody else notices! Glad the weather is cooling down. Can't wait for all the fall colors! Joe looks so comfy in that chair!
    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm with you. I love the fall colors. They always look so beautiful and vibrant to me. There is only one thing wrong with fall as far as I'm concerned and that is that winter comes next. I hate the ice and snow -- especially the ice.

      Delete
  4. I hope you have a beautiful and blessed day today my friend. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. How sweet. I wish the same for you.

      Delete
  5. You really get a lot done in one day even with a sore back! You are amazing! Hope you had a blessed Lord's Day! Be safe this weekend. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to clean houses for my income. Was always happy that those I cleaned for didn't see mine before I did theirs!!! You accomplished much and it's a blessing to those you did it for :)
    Last year our pastor took a three month sabbatical....it seemed like it lasted forever!! Happy you have a pastor again.
    Enjoy your Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Doris. I'll clean your house, but stay away from mine. So embarrassing when someone walks in. But the good news is it's getting better! We are happy to have a pastor again too.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.