Friday, August 5, 2016

FUNERAL NUMBER 6

This morning I went to my sixth funeral this year.  When I retired on January 1st I didn't think my first year would be spent attending funerals.  But that's what it has turned out to be.

Today's funeral was for one of my supervisors when I worked at the Northeast Regional Library.  Marian was a lovely lady.  So sweet, kind, and considerate.  She lived near the library but because she was my mom's age, I did not want her walking home at 9 p.m. so I used to give her a ride each night that we worked together.  We talked all the way there and became close friends.  She was a character.  She used to kick her legs up really high to prove she wasn't old.  And she loved to dance.  Marian passed away this week at age 87 and it was still too soon.

I stopped to pick up my friend Carol to go to the church.  Her son had her car today.  Besides, we wanted to spend time together and catch up.  We were only going to the viewing, but saw a lot of other library people there and began talking to them.  The next thing we knew, we were being told to sit down that the mass was beginning.  OK.

It was a beautiful mass.  It really celebrated her life and people came away feeling uplifted rather than crying.

As we library people stood on the steps talking afterwards, Carol came up with the idea that we should go to lunch together.  Some people couldn't do that, but five of us got together and met at the Country Club.  It was so nice to see my friends again and to talk, relax and just enjoy being together.  It has been years since I worked with them since I was transferred to another library five years ago.  But it was as if we had just sat down yesterday.  That's what it's like with good friends.  We sat around for about an hour and a half and then left saying we MUST make time to do this again.

As I drove Carol back home we were saying life is short.  We need to connect with people we love and make time to spend with those who mean so much to us.  I worked with these people almost 10 years and they became my family.  I didn't realize just how much I missed them.  We are all retired now (and glad of it!) so perhaps we can get together once a month.  Or every other month.  I hope so.

When I got home I changed my clothes and then went into the yard to help clean up.  J from church had offered to cut our grass for us.  He just graduated from high school and is looking for a couple of yards to work in before he goes back to school in a few months.  He did a really nice job.  I pulled a few weeds.  J is coming back next week to help me finish up.  And boy does that yard need work!  Some of the weeds are taller than I am and look like trees.  I know with J helping me it will get back to normal.  He's a good kid and I'm glad he can help us out and we can help him out.

Here's another Picture from the Past.  Such a beautiful sunset.  This was taken August 4, 2014.


And now it's off to make dinner.  Poached salmon, rice and fresh green beans from Lancaster County.  Can't wait.

See you tomorrow.

Kathy

 

10 comments:

  1. Kathy, I am so sorry about your friend's passing. When we attend funerals we do tend to talk with others we have known. Marian was blessed with you as her friend. Glad you got some yard help...you do not need to over do in this heat. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Susie, you are so sweet. Thank you.

      I'm glad to have some yard help also. But it's not so hot here now. Down in the 70s. I'm glad for some relief.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear of your friend's passing. It does make one realize how short life is. I am trying to be better at keeping in touch.Sometimes I send a little notecard to 'touch base' or a phone call. If someone from the past comes to mind whose contact info I no longer have,I say a prayer. Perhaps they were in my thoughts for a reason. Who among us can't use a prayer?
    Can't wait to see the finished yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sure to post some pictures of the yard. But of course YOU can see it in person. Up close and personal, ha, ha!

      I'm going to try to keep in touch with people more also. It's so easy to get wrapped up in your own world that we forget about others.

      Delete
  3. I am sorry to hear of your friend's passing and that you have had a lot of friends pass this year. I don't know how you work outside in the heat, but glad you are getting help with your yard. It was 100 degrees on my patio yesterday and my flowers look like they may die. The heat was hard on them. I gave them lots of water so we will see how they do today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not so hot here. In the 80s and low humidity. Today it is going down to 70*. So it's not bad being outside right now. Sorry it's so hot where you are.

      Delete
  4. Good Morning, Sweetpea, and thank you for your sweet comment on Lawn Tea today. I so appreciate the kind words, and look forward to your blog, as well.

    It's a sad thing to lose a friend, even in the fullness of time, but we are just so lucky to have them as long as we do. And it seems as if you truly treasure and enjoy and let your other friends know NOW how much you treasure them.

    Our own backyard wavers from lovely-in-the-waning-sunlight to WHAT HAPPENED HERE? after a brisk wind, as we're completely surrounded by quite wonderful trees, which shower us with leaves and twigs under the furniture and concrete, It's just so serene and quiet out there, and I look forward to a bit of cooler weather for sitting out and having our meals out there. Glad you have such a good helper.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad to lose a friend but I'm glad I knew her. How different my life would have been if we had never met.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear the loss of your friend Marian. But so thankful for heaven. My prayers for you and her family. I have a funeral coming up in a couple weeks to go to. Yes we need to keep with our friends now even life is busy. Am going to lunch with my friend today and celebrate her birthday belatedly. Yard work is always there and always weeds to pull and flowers and lawn to water. Happy weekend my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers. Have fun with your friend at lunch today.

      Yes, yard work is always there. But I do love my outdoor space even though it is small.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.