Thursday, July 7, 2016

MARIANNE STORIES #30

My friend, Marianne, never minces words as I've found out many a time.  She says what she means and she means what she says!
 
June 2
The Verizon guys have made a mess of my immediate neighborhood with bringing FIOS: ripping up street, concrete sidewalks, dirt and filth all over. Today, they started on my block. I returned from food shopping to find a truck partially blocking our driveway. I parked my car in front of our house, when this young guy comes to my car window and tells me I can't park there. 

"Why? This is my house. You are blocking my driveway." 

"Can't you park down the street?" 

"Again, why? By the way, who are you guys anyway? You are destroying the neighborhood." 

 "We're Verizon. Can't you park down the street?" 

"Why must I park down the street? I have to unload my car, and if you think I'm going to unload my car from down the street, you will have another thought coming soon!" 

He walked away and consulted with the rest of the Neanderthals. He then comes back,"Ma'am, you will have to park down the street." 

"Sir, I will NOT PARK DOWN THE STREET. I have to unload my car. Got that?" 

He walked away, came back and began stuttering. The old guy driving the truck backs up. The young guy says, "Ma'am, uh, it's okay, you can park, okay, don't get angry." 

"Thank you." 

I released the trunk, and walked to the rear of my car. All of a sudden a crowd of big burly guys in hard hats surround me. 

"What is it?" 

"We've come to help you unload your car." 

 "Thank you, but no, I can unload it myself." 

The largest one towered over me and flashed me a charming smile. "Hey, c'mon, let us help you. You have a lot to carry, and we're here to help. We can carry for you." 

 "Again, sir, thank you for the kind offer, but I can manage myself. Besides, you really don't want to help me for helping sake, you want to speed this process along so that I will get with it and move my car. I will unload my car myself. I will move it when I am ready." 

I smiled a sweet but frosty smile. They looked stunned as I loaded 5 bags of groceries in each hand and carried them up the steps. The big burly one with the charming smile said, "Man! She is tough! Would you think by looking at her she would be that strong?" 

I returned to my car, and saw them gaping. "Gentlemen, never underestimate a woman. We know your motives all the time!" They burst out laughing, and I moved my car down the street.

 

6 comments:

  1. Oh Kathy, I love this...she sounds so much like my mom. My mother could be so blunt at times. Your friend would not have wanted them tracking in her house anyways. LOL. Blessings, hope you are having a great day there. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne is quite a lady. She would never give in to those men.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I could have turned down help carrying the groceries! lol But sometimes it's good to be tough. I hope Joe is feeling much better today! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe is feeling wonderful, thanks for asking. You can read about it in my next post. You are right, sometimes you need to be tough.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVE Marianne! Such spirit! I agree with her..Why do I have to move? Kudos for handling the men with class. I get looks when I pick up my 26 lb bag of dog food or the 25 lb bag cat litter. Not bad for 62! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad for any age, Deb. I can see you acting the same way.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.