Friday, June 3, 2016

AN ACCIDENT AND CAROL'S HAPPY BIRTHDAY


Yesterday afternoon Genny and Joe and their son Jaelen and Joe and I went to church to do some work.  Genny and I were cleaning the sanctuary and Fellowship Hall (and the bathrooms) while Joe, Joe and Jaelen were hanging new signs on the church.  After being vandalized twice, we decided to get signs that screwed right into the building and to hang them high where they weren't easily defaced or torn down (not that I think they CAN be torn down the way they are fastened in).  The guys had quite a time getting the correct tools and equipment to do it and it took about 2 hours to get these signs hung.

Meanwhile Genny and I were working away.  It was hot in the sanctuary, so Genny opened four of the windows and there was a nice breeze going through the building.  It's always nice to air things out too.

Genny and I finished and were outside with the guys watching them.  I decided to go inside and get my purse and other things I wanted to take home with me.  Genny told me that she had closed the windows on one side of the building, but the parking lot side was still open.  I told her I would take care of it.

I went inside, closed one window and locked it, and then went to close the other window.  I had lowered it only a half inch or so when the whole pane of glass fell out of the track and on top of my head, neck and shoulders.  I felt the pain on the top of my head and then in my neck where I have bulging discs.  I started yelling for Joe to come help me.  He heard the bang, thought it was a gunshot from the apartment house behind the church, heard "help me" and was about to call 911.  He couldn't really hear me over the power tools being used to hang the church sign.  I waited until there was a break and yelled again "Joe, help me!"  I was afraid to move because I thought the window would fall further down on me.  I heard Genny and Joe running up the steps to me.  They took the window off of me and had me sit down.  Genny got me an ice pack.  Boy did my head ever hurt!

Joe fixed the window and then drove me home.  I kept the ice on my head for awhile, but I really did not get hurt that much.  It could have been so much worse.  I am glad it was me and not anyone else that this happened to.  I would not have wanted anyone else to get hurt.

Today is my friend Carol's birthday.  So my best bud Donna and I took Carol to the Country Club Diner for lunch.  We all had burgers and they were very good.  We stopped at the bakery counter on the way out and got Carol a small strawberry shortcake because everyone needs a cake on their birthday.  When we got into the car to go home I said, "And the fun continues."  I handed her a gift from both Donna and I.  It was two candles and a pretty butterfly candleholder.  She was so happy.  She said she hadn't been looking forward to her birthday and then it was raining.  But we had made it a wonderful day for her.

Image result for butterfly candle holder 

I went home, picked up Joe, and then Donna, Joe and I went food shopping.  I had to get things for tomorrow.  We are having a pastors' meeting at church and we are giving them lunch.  It's an easy lunch though.  I got lunchmeat, Donna got bread and rolls, and I am making a pasta salad and fruit salad.  So it's going to be another busy day tomorrow.

And then it's Sunday.  I think Monday I will get a break to rest a little bit.

So that's what's been going on with me.  Anything new with  you?

Kathy

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, shortybear. God really was taking care of me.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh!Praise the Lord you're alright. It could have been much worse,I agree. You were smart to not move.The butterfly holder is so pretty! Such a thoughtful gift. Just being remembered is a gift in itself.Sounds like everyone had a great time.
    Have a beautiful day! woof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't open the windows at church tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Oh, you poor Dearie! The "bang" and not "crash" leads me to to believe the pane fell in toto, and not shattered all around your shoulders and in your hair, so if they could remove it hands-on in one piece, that's a good thing. But what a blow to your poor head!

    So glad you had all those good guys to run to your rescue.

    And then you had the birthday celebration to ease some of the insult and injury---what a good friend you are, and I wish we lived close.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it did not break. The window came down hard, but stayed in one piece. I'm so glad it did not break and cut me.

      I wish we lived closer too. We would have fun hanging out together.

      Delete
  4. The accident with the window was bad for sure, and thankful you werent hurt more than you were. Nice birthday for your friend. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'm glad I wasn't hurt worse either.

      Delete
  5. wow, that was a close call with that window falling, you could have been cut by broken glass, very scary! I hoe you are ok today,
    the rest of the day turned out well though,, it was a lovely end to the day,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the window did not break and is resting firmly in it's track where it belongs. Every day I am a little better.

      Delete
  6. Kathy, I wish God could send a lightening bolt down on vandals...not hurt them but make them think....would they want something they loved, broken or stolen? I hope you are okay Kathy. Sounds like you and your friends had fun. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our last church sign lasted two days. These are now up three days and I think they are positioned so that they will be ok.

      I'm a little better each day. It will take time for all the stiffness to go away, I think.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.