Wednesday, May 18, 2016

A ROCKWELL WEDNESDAY -- THE OPTOMETRIST (1956)


THE OPTOMETRIST (1956)

Inspired by Rockwell's personal memories of getting glasses, this illustration brilliantly captures the opposing forces of eager doctor and defiant patient.  Norman was distressed about having to become a "four-eyes."  After getting fitted with modern, moonlike glasses, Norman's buddies named him "Moonie" instead, which made him even more mad.  The Optometrist was featured on the cover of The Saturday Evening Post on May 19, 1956.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the background on this picture. Very interesting. Aren't Norman Rockwell pictures fun to look at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Norman Rockwell's pictures. He was so talented.

      Delete
  2. This reminds me - I am supposed to get my eyes tested! The doctor said something about my age and it was time......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get mine tested every year and glasses changed every two. Get your feet taken care of first. Then you can worry about your eyes.

      Delete
  3. How interesting! I get checked every 2 years with glasses. I was told the same thing about age being a factor....woof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately we are all getting older and so are our eyes!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.