Thursday, April 21, 2016

THE RETURN OF THE FAIRY GARDEN

It's another beautiful day here today.  Lots of sun and temperatures in the high 70s.  Another chance to get some things done in the yard.

Because of my arthritis it is hard for me to garden the way I would like.  So I do a little at a time.  But it's getting done!  Today I attacked my earthbox.

It was very overgrown from the winter months.

It took me a long time to cultivate and weed it.  I knew it was bad, but it was worse than I expected.
 I had some tomatoes that I was going to plant along the side of the patio.  But after everything was cleaned out I decided to plant them in the earthbox.

Roma tomatoes, yellow cherry tomatoes and globe tomatoes.  I have never used these pods before, but they're manufactured by Miracle-Gro so I thought I'd give them a chance.
 


 Here they are planted across the back of the box.  The green you see in the front is chives.  I have had the chives for years.  No matter how bad the winter is, it always comes back.  I think it's impossible to kill it.


As I was weeding I found my fairy garden.  I knew I had three fairies, but I forgot I had the mushrooms too.  What a nice surprise.  The fairies are there to watch over the tomatoes.
 

I also found my chickadee statue.  I put it on the table beside the bench.
 


I've finished the gardening for today.  Lots more to do, but I'm chipping away at it.  Now I'm going to sit here in the sun and take a rest.

Kathy

13 comments:

  1. I also enjoy siiting back and surviving what I accomplished. I don't mind a little dirt under my fingernails and sunshine on my face. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Christine! I don't mind a little dirt either. Sitting out in the sun each day and getting something accomplished too is really nice.

      Delete
  2. I love the fairy gardens, I have never made one but I really enjoy your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had one either until a couple of years ago. I saw so many blogs with them so made one for myself. I like trying to find little things for it.

      Delete
  3. So pretty! As much as you enjoyed the 'doing',the resting & viewing are great too. Love sitting in the warm sun (as long as its 80 degrees or under). The fairy garden is the best! woof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't sit too long. Too much to do! Life is short.

      Delete
  4. Pretty.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sweet fairies so much. I have one here in my Christmas cactus. It's nice to get outside when the weather's nice. Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! Every year I add one thing to the fairy garden. Someday it's going to take over the whole box.

      Delete
  6. Quite the idea of seeds in a pod and then you plant it. I hope to get tomato plants soon. I need to pull grass by our garage that's grown up through the rock. One of these days I'll rake up all the old rock and put weed barrier down then put new rock on it. Clear out the square foot garden and plant things in there as well. I like being outdoors when it's not too hot. Hot last week and now we've got cooler days and rain. Sigh! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.