Saturday, January 2, 2016

A BIRTHDAY IN LANCASTER COUNTY

I slept in again today.  I knew that the last few months I was tired, but I had no idea I was THIS tired.  I didn't wake up until 10:30 a.m.  Then I had to hurry to get ready to go out to Lancaster County.  I met my brother, Larry, and sister-in-law, Kim, at Miller's Restaurant for dinner.


Since Larry's last name is Miller, and he made the reservations, it was strange to walk in and ask for the table reserved for the Millers.  "Yes, this is Miller's," said one lady at the front desk.  "No.  Larry Miller.  He has reservations for 2 p.m.?"  "Oh.  Oh, yes.  They are already here.  Go right on back."

And there were Larry and Kim.  We had such a good time celebrating our birthdays.  I had the fried chicken entree, but the other three did the smorgasbord.

 Here's Larry and Kim.


And here's me and Joe.

At the end of the meal they gave Larry a cake with a lit candle and we sang to him.


When we were finished eating we looked around the gift shop.  Joe got a dozen sticky buns for church tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to grabbing mine.

I sat on a bench in the lobby while I was waiting for everyone to finish.  Of course I had to take a couple of pictures.


The hostess stand is the front of an old car.  It was decorated with a lighted wreath.
 

They had a cute little lighted tree in the lobby.

As we were walking towards the cars, Larry and I both saw the view of the Amish farms and said together, "I see a photo."  It was funny that we both saw the same thing at the same time.  So as Joe and Kim stayed near the cars and talked (and it was COLD), Larry and I grabbed our cameras and hurried down to the field.  We snapped away for a few minutes and got some really good pictures.  How different from this time last year.  Then it was all brown and frozen.  Today it was cold but there was grass growing.









You can tell the sun was just setting and the light was wonderful.  Unfortunately I had just taken my 4:00 p.m. photo for the day and didn't readjust the camera settings.  These could have been so much better.

And here's the 4:00 p.m. photo of the day.


One more day of this holiday weekend.  I keep thinking that I have to go back to work on Monday.  I even thought, "Well, I work late on Tuesday so what is quick and easy to have for dinner."  Getting used to not working is going to take some time!

Kathy

6 comments:

  1. YOu know when I read your posts they are very uplifting even though they are telling of events in your life and not mine** I find your writing so warm and full of feelings and this sharing you do, is so good to read of.. I hope that you long awaited retirement turns out happy for you.. for myself it has taken almost five years to feel ok about not working.. even though I worked from home, I travelled a lot back and forth, and not having a structured day took me a long time.. However talking to others, they never seemed to have the same loss at all!! I loved the fact that your brother celebrated his birthday with you.. yesterday we were out celebrating my husbands special day with his children and me... magical moments all of them... I do hope that the New Year will bring you great happiness and look forward to reading more of your very interesting posts.. go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, It is so hard to believe you are completely retired. I hope you enjoy everyday of it. I loved all the photos you took of the farm. Glad you could enjoy your brother's birthday too. Blessings to all, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great couple photos! And what beautiful views of those farms. I'm so glad you don't have to go to work. Won't it be nice when the weather's bad! Happy new year sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, great boule photos!
    You and Joe look happy and that restaurant looks great.
    Have a great Monday (and Tuesday and Wed., etc!)!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a good day out with your brother and his wife. The Amish farm photos are nice! So pretty there. We had a bit of snow this a.m. It's cold enough. Enjoy your new days of retirement. Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The restaurant looks charming! Nice decorations. It is so heartwarming that you & Larry can celebrate your birthdays together.The farm photos are great. Despite what people may think,retirement is rarely boring. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.