Thursday, December 24, 2015

CHRISTMAS EVE


What a Christmas Eve this has been.  First of all it was warm.  Really warm.  Up around 71* warm but felt much warmer.  Lots of people here had their air conditioners on.  I don't think I've ever in my life been able to walk around on Christmas Eve without a jacket and still be comfortable.

My day began with me waking up at 6 a.m. to make cookies.  I was able to get three kinds baked before I went to work.

I made chocolate chip...

...peanut butter ...

...and oatmeal craisin.

We worked only until 2 p.m. today.  I was so glad because I had so much to do.  Mainly still buying gifts!  I ran into Rite Aid on my way home and got tons of stocking stuffers and a couple of bigger gifts too.  Then I hurried home to finish the baking.

When I got home I made sugar cookies...

...and snickerdoodles.

Then Joe helped me bag them up in these cute little cookie bags I had -- 15 to a bag.  I took them with me to church and handed them out to everyone who was there.  It is something I started doing about 15 years ago when I first started attending this church.  Everyone looks forward to it each year and it isn't Christmas Eve without me handing out cookies.  That's why I was doing so much work today to finish them.

Before we went to church Joe said he was hungry and went to 7-11 to get some hot dogs.  When he came back, he had some beautiful pink roses for me.  What a guy!

 
We had a very nice Christmas Eve Service.  My friend Debbie and her husband, Russ, came also.  We sang some carols, had several responsive readings.  Bud and Karen lit the Advent wreath for the last time this season.



Joe A sang two beautiful songs.  My husband Joe S.  gave the message.  The link for it is here.  It is only 10 minutes long and well worth hearing.

At the end of the service we formed a circle around the church, lit the candles we were holding, turned out the lights, and sang "Silent Night."  It was very beautiful.

After the service we took Debbie and Russ to see Greeby Street.  They knew from my pictures that it was an entire block lit up, but weren't prepared to see it in person.  I'm telling you folks my pictures may be good, but it is NOTHING compared to the real thing.  I drove very slowly down the street so we could take it all in.  Joe hadn't seen it yet this year either and he was impressed too.  I'm telling you it's even bigger and better than last year.

We dropped Debbie and Russ off at their house and then went to a different Rite Aid in our neighborhood and really finished shopping -- for tonight.  We still don't have for Joe's step-mother and her sister.  Since we won't see them until after Christmas, we can go shopping this weekend.  It's just been one of those years.

I have the stockings for Joe and my sister Elaine filled.  We open the stockings at her house.  I have the gift for my neighbor Chrissy in a gift bag ready to go.  I still have to wrap the gifts for my sister but I have done all I can do for tonight.  I will get up early and wrap tomorrow before I leave for her house.  

My foot is swollen to twice its size and hurts terribly.  My energy level is zero.  My emotions are shot.  So that is it for tonight.  It was a great night and I am looking forward to tomorrow.  And to next week when I start my retirement.  Oh the plans I have for that!

Merry Christmas!

Kathy
8 days to retirement


4 comments:

  1. Greeby St is beautiful,the service even more so. The gift of the cookies is even more special for the effort & love you put into them.Joe's message is really worth hearing,I may go back to hear it again! Goand have a great time with Elaine.
    Merry Christmas! The Lord's peace be yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eight days captain...LOL. Sweet Kathy, you and Joe are the kindest couple. Wanted to pop in and wish you a Merry Christmas...going to Emma's house for our gathering...get to see and hold babies. :) Bless you, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Kathy, to you and Joe. Please please please attend to that foot, everything else can wait. Even Christmas festivities if need be. You can have a blood clot in there. I know someone who had that problem. You need more than an x-ray, more like an MRI. Do it while un-retired and with medical insurance, please. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but when it comes to potential health issues, I freak out. Too much life experience. Hugs, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Barbera, don't leave attention to that foot.. needs looking at quickly... apart from that, busy busy girl you were... all those biscuits look amazing I am sure everyone enjoyed eating them... we had a super xmas day with family and a lot of driving, but it was so worth it.. today is calmer and just going out with the dog for a long walk after lunch.. I hope that the coming year will be so smashing for you all, and one where you can enjoy the pure happiness of not rushing around going to work!!! Im looking forward to seeing what plans you have hatched for your retirement!! love to you all my friend across the pond** Janzi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.