Friday, August 7, 2015

THE END OF THE SUMMER OF WONDER

This has been quite a week coming back to work.  

On Monday I came in to find Diane was out on vacation and Megan from the Rodriguez Branch was there because her branch was closed.  

On Tuesday Diane was still out and Megan was still there but in the afternoon we also got Sheila, our former Children's Librarian, because the Fishtown branch was closed.  

Wednesday Bob took vacation, Diane came back for one day, and not only was Sheila there, but Cindy and Tracy came from Fishtown while Megan took off sick.  Forgot to mention that Megan is two months pregnant and very sick all the time.  But she's a trooper and tries to come in every day.  

Thursday found Bob back and Diane gone again.  Tracy and Cindy were still there.  Megan came in, but had to leave because she was so sick.  Sheila took the rest of the week off.

And today....  Diane was off and so were Megan, Cindy and Tracey.  Dana, the other librarian from Fishtown was there, but my staff was back to Doug, Bob and me and we were very happy about that.

Are your scorecards all filled out?  What a week to come back.  On the other hand, I have never supervised that many people and I was able to do it well and keep everyone happy!  Including me!  My foot was so swollen and sore and with so many people I didn't have to shelve, look for books, or be on the desk for almost the whole week.  And now my foot is better!

Yesterday was the closing party for the end of the Summer Reading Program.  The theme this year was "Summer of Wonder" and so the libraries used Alice in Wonderland as their theme.  Liz expected about 20-25 kids to show up and 75 did!  Good thing she got extra food.  There were several tables set up.  One was a Mad Hatter's tea party.  One was face painting.  One was for crafts (they made Cheshire Cat grins out of a half of a paper plate and then glued them to sticks so they could hold them in front of their faces).  And one was for a raffle she held.  Each kid also got a bag full of little prizes:  key chains, magnets, notebooks, etc.  It was very noisy, but very fun.  What a way to end the summer!





Summer of Wonder banner

Of course there had to be playing cards.


One of our summer interns who is an art major did all of the decorations.  She is very good.

We stayed a little late because the face painter wouldn't leave as long as there was one kid who wanted their face painted.  And she was very good too.  When I went out I saw the sunset and just had to take a picture of it.  It was like a blessing on the end of the summer reading program.

16 comments:

  1. Great news about your foot! Glad you had so much help.The "Alice" theme sounds wonderful. Looks like everyone had a lot of fun. And the weather is a bit less humid ....and a breeze!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the foot is still swollen and painful but it sure helped being off of it so much. Everyone did seem to have a lot of fun.

      Delete
  2. Kathy, I do not know how you do it...my head is spinning just thinking of all the comings and goings. LOL. Good for all the little readers out there. Being ready for 25 kids and getting 75...YIKES. That was some major juggling. Blessings to all you wonderful library workers. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Liz had taken her niece with her thinking that an 11 year old would know what to get for the party. I held down the fort (playing librarian) for two hours while they were gone. Her niece talked her into getting fancy paper cups and lots more food than she thought she would need. At the end Liz said, "Michella was right! I'm so glad I overbought."

      Delete
  3. I know your job is hard and you have to be so tired at the end of the day, but from where I sit, it looks like a really good job. You help people, influence children, as well as adults, and there is nothing better for all of us, but a really good book. I tip my hat to you! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the kids read more and played computer games less. But at least they are reading SOME which they might not do without a library. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Linda, your job is demanding but I also think very rewarding for you. I bet even after you retire, you would be a volunteer! Glad your foot was better. Hope you get to see the spectacular meteor display next week in your neck of the woods, and get to take lots of photos to share. In NYC, we probably won't see much, we always have cloud cover and smog and pollution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, you are too funny. I am thinking of volunteering after I retire. That's something that you would say that. I have wanted to work in a library since I was 12 years old. I doubt we will see much of the meteor shower in Philly either for the very same reasons.

      Delete
    2. Kathy, sometimes I read your posts and think, omg I feel the same way! I am so tired! I have long to do lists! lol! Kindred spirits. I love farm stands, Lancaster County. It is funny, huh?

      Delete
  5. Oh, Kathy!

    This was such a bright spot this Saturday morning! Just to see all the activities and fun and READING, and what a big bright wonderful space your Library is!

    Chris came up behind me and I introduced you with a few little words about you and Joe and your Bible class and family, and then we enjoyed the pictures together. He says Librarians are right up there with Teachers for a special place in Heaven---all the joy and interest and forming of those young minds and hearts with good books and the happy of reading.

    Hope you felt us being so glad to know you!!

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Rachel, you make me blush. Such kind words. I do love what I do. It's just sometimes all the bureaucracy and nasty people get to me. Thank Chris for me too. I do hope I teach somebody something.

      Delete
  6. HI Kathy! Good to hear this about your foot and I'm amazed at all you do. Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, it is always a joy to pop into your blog. Sometimes I amaze myself at what I do. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Blog hopping over from

    http://singingpraisehomemaker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Renee. Hope you come back again!

      Delete
  8. Your library is gorgeous, what a fun place to hang out !
    I remember encouraging my grandchildren to participate in the summer reading programs, and they did, they always had so much fun.
    You are a busy, busy lady, I admire your zest for life.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.