Tuesday, November 11, 2014

THE WEEKEND

If I don't write this now I will completely forget what happened over the last two days.   I find my memory slipping more and more.  It can't be  old age, so I have no idea what the problem is.  I'm thinking it probably is I have too much on my mind!

I worked this past Saturday.  I will be working this Saturday also -- three Saturdays in  a row.  I really don't mind working Saturdays because then I have a weekday (Friday) to do all my running around.  A lot of places are open on Fridays that are closed on Saturdays.

It was so slow and the day dragged.  We were saying it was one of the longest short days we had ever experienced.

The one thing I did do was go to the farm at lunch time.  It is the last day for the farm stand for a month and then they will open up every other week during the winter.  The problem with going in the winter (besides the cold) is that there isn't much of a selection.  It is all root vegetables and greens.  I suppose that is what our ancestors lived on.  They could get only what was in season.  They must have really looked forward to that first breath of spring when they could begin planting their vegetable gardens again.

So here's what I got from the farm.  Only four items:  2 Asian pears, 2 green peppers, a cheddar cauliflower and a pint  of  heirloom cherry tomatoes.


Besides that I got a little Alberta spruce to plant in the back yard.   I have been wanting a tree for the longest time. This is a pretty little tree and the shape is so nice.  I have to get it into the ground soon though or the ground will be too frozen to dig a hole.  I read on the internet that they grow about two inches a year and take about 30 years to get to be 12 feet tall.  This writer said it is best to plant them in a pot at first to make sure they are draining well and are well watered.  I think I will do just that.  I have a large pot in the back yard with nothing in it.  I think the tree would look good there for the first couple of years.  I can move it if it isn't getting enough sun, etc.  Then when it gets a little larger I will put it into the ground.  Right now it's about 18 inches high.




I am starting to take down all the Halloween decorations and getting Thanksgiving up.  Then it will be Christmas.  Time moves so quickly.

Joe didn't get to church on Sunday.  He had another fall while I was at work on Saturday.  He isn't hurt, but I'm glad he is going to the doctor today.

I just took it easy that day.  I try to save Sundays to just relax and regroup.  I'm so glad I don't work Sundays anymore.

Remember I mentioned there was a house being built in back of us?  I mentioned to Joe the other day that the basement looked awfully small to be a house.  Then we noticed that the wall was being built attached to the house that was there.  At first we thought it was going to be a twin house (duplex for some of you out there), but now we think the owners are enlarging their house.  Joe looked it up on Zillow and the lot just sold for $20,000.  To enlarge their house and add a bigger yard is a good deal.  It still will be interesting to watch it go up.







I've got to run.  Look for another post later today.

Kathy
---------------------------------------
Monday's weather:
Sunny
High:  64 degrees (4 degrees above average)
Low:  35 degrees (2 degrees below average)
Sunrise:  6:40 a.m.
Sunset:  4:48 p.m.
10 hours and 8 minutes of daylight
The days are getting shorter. 

1 comment:

  1. I think $20,000 is a good deal for enlarging a property. Don't most of us want more 'space'? Ha ha!
    The tree is well shaped.A nice addition to your yard. I've never heard of cheddar cauliflower. Does it taste like
    cheese? Or is that just for the color?
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.