Wednesday, September 3, 2014

MY READING LIST

I didn't get a lot of reading done in August.  Maybe that's because the books I've been reading are non-fiction and heavy reads.  I thought I'd show you what I got through.

THE DIARY OF OLGA ROMANOV: ROYAL WITNESS TO THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTION
by Helen Azar
Published 2014


Image result for the diary of olga romanov

When I read on our work email that one of our librarians, Helen Azar, had written a book and had it published I was interested in reading it.  I used to work with Helen at another library.  But when I read that it was about the Romanovs and the Russian Revolution, I was even more interested.  I remember taking a class in college on the history of Russia and it was so fascinating.  So I knew I would like the book.

Helen Azar

Sure enough, I loved the book.  So sad, though, to think of the whole family and their servants being killed this way.  But having their actual diaries and letters translated gave me such a view into the lives of the royals.  It's not a book for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Joe and I also finished the book I mentioned last time.
ON MY WAY
by Tomie dePaola
Published 2001


A kid's book that adults will enjoy.  It continues on with the life of Tomie dePaola when he was a boy.  I already have the next book ordered and am waiting for it to come in from another library.

As you can see from the sidebar I am still struggling through:
YOUNG HENRY:  THE RISE OF HENRY VIII
by Robert Hutchinson
Published 2011

Image result for young henry the rise of henry VIII

It's interesting, but a difficult read.  But since I adore British history I am going to finish it.  I really have learned a lot and even found out that one of my ancestors was Henry VIII's nanny when he was a young child.  I also found out that I came from landed gentry and another of my ancestors sat in Parliment.  We used to be rich.  Very rich.  What happened?  Where's my share of that money?

Oh well.  I guess we can't all be wealthy.

Hope you all are reading something interesting.

Kathy

1 comment:

  1. How interesting! I am currently reading the devotionals in the Women's Sanctuary Devotional Bible
    I received as a gift. I do a few each day.But wow! To think I know someone with such history. Wonder how far back my history goes.....My father's mother said my great grandfather came from Barbados.....
    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.