Sunday, August 10, 2014

THE SUNDAY GARDEN

The day began with a beautiful sunrise.  I just knew it was going to be a good day.

I made a peach long cake last night to take to church for Coffee Hour.  It was a big hit and I brought home just three pieces.  I guess it was a good choice.
 
I haven't done a Sunday garden post in quite awhile.  That's because I haven't worked in the garden in quite awhile.  And boy did it ever show.

My herb garden with the fairy garden.  Boy am I a slum lord.  Even the mushrooms are knocked down.

Everything is so overgrown.  Every time I tried to sit outside I was bitten up by mosquitos.

The grass was up to my knees.

These may look like trees, but they are weeds!

No more pansies, just weeds.

Everything is one big mess.
 This is what a bad back and arthritis throughout your legs and feet will do.  It was more than I could handle.  Fortunately I met Frank, the guy who did my gardening the last few years, when I was in the store the other day.  He agreed to come over and help me.

He showed up around 2:00 today and we worked together out there until 6:00.  It was VERY HOT and hard work.  Nothing was easy.  We were both hot, thirsty and dirty by the time we were done.  But it looks SO much better.

The long pot is empty and waiting for some new plants.  I also moved the plants and lantern where I can see them from the kitchen window.

The grass was so high that Frank had to go over it twice.

The fairy garden is looking good and I actually have some herbs that survived.

Empty pot.  Don't know what I'm going to put in it.

Another empty space.  But at least I have my mushrooms and cat in there.


It's looking so much better.  It even seems to be larger!  All the weeds and the ivy that was covering the wall are gone.
 Frank will come back next Saturday to weed the other half of the yard.  In the meantime I will start dead heading the rose bushes.  I don't trust anyone to do that except myself.  I am looking forward to sitting outside reading after work tomorrow.

Here are a few more pictures for you:
Pink morning glory

Purple morning glory

Blue morning glory

Pink gladiolus

Red rose

Look at this bee in the center of the rose!  I was so fortunate to get this picture.
 The day ended with a beautiful sunset and a dinner of pork roast, summer squash and mashed potatoes with pork gravy.  It's been a good day.


Kathy

5 comments:

  1. It WAS a good day!!! You are all set for FALL gardening now!! Win! WIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a jungle! You really did have your work cut out for you. It looks soooo much better! You & Frank did one heck of a job. I must admit that the fairy garden is one of my favorites in your yard & I am glad to see it survived.Can't wait to see what you put in the "empties"!
    Have a blooming good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure had a big job to do, and it looks so much better now. You can see beauty, not weeds and when he gets the other half done, you will enjoy sitting outside again. Fall is around the corner, and hopefully there wont be as many mosquitoes, etc. to bite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Kathy, Thank goodness you ran into Frank. We need more handy men, that hire out to weed, mow and do minor repairs. I drive by home and I see it's been mowed around but the weeds have taken over the flowers...it's because the owners are not physically able to tend their flower beds and bushes and such. That's where g.kids need to help them out a bit. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! Everything was really growing like crazy in your yard. How nice of Frank to come over and help! Your flowers are so beautiful! I love days like that when you accomplish something that makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.