Tuesday, July 1, 2014

PICNIC


Let's go on a picnic, shall we?  What shall we bring?

The picnic above looks nice, but I doubt I would bring a watermelon.  Too heavy.  And too sticky with that lucious juice running down my face and my arms.  Sitting on the ground I would probably be covered with ants!  But the rest of the food looks good.

I haven't been on a picnic in years!  I think the last one I was on was a Sunday School picnic at Neshaminy State Park.  I remember that I brought lunch meat sandwiches, bottles of water, deviled eggs, potato salad and fruit.  How do I remember?  Because that's what I always bring on a picnic.  Some people were brave enough to bring hot dogs and hamburgers.  I say brave because we didn't know if they had grills there.  (They did.)

There was a public pool there too, and several people had brought their swimsuits and went swimming.  I went with a group on a walk through the woods to the banks of the Delaware River.  How wonderful it was to stand on the very water line of the river and think about how the water I was seeing had come from New York and would flow down to Maryland.

Picnics are great things.  Have you gone on any picnics lately?  And what kind of food would you pack in your picnic hamper? 

The banks of the Delaware River at Neshaminy State Park.


Kathy



6 comments:

  1. I LOVE picnics and go on many! I take all sorts of things! Lots of ready to eat stuff and/or hot dogs and burgers. Louis Dean and I have stopped at Subways and taken our sandwiches to the park. Everything taste better when you eat it outdoors!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure you'd consider it a picnic,but Russ & I bought a hot dog drink & split a bag of chips at
    a small park in center city. Sitting on a bench,we ate & people watched in the shade of trees that probably
    shaded Benjamin Franklin.....It was refreshing to just relax without any schedule....

    ReplyDelete
  3. No..but you know, I think I will soon. I would take watermelon..but already cut up and have forks there. That would work. Cherries? I usually cut our fruit up. I love that picture, Kathy. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, This reminds me of my oldest g.daughter.....she was about 4 when she said, I'll say this in her little kid talk..".I saw some people in theys houses and they had no walls." I asked where this was, she said by the pool. There are some pavilions at the pool. I asked Sierra if they were having a picnic. She said , "No they was eating." Kathy that just touched my heart. I explained to her that was a picnic eating outside under those roofs. Bless her heart. Hope you and Joe have a great 4th. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always dreamed of going on a "soap opera picnic" You know the kind with the nice blanket, the basket full of fruit, and nice bottle of wine with two crystal waterford wine glasses and my hair wind blown on a crisp fall day with of course no ants just me and my lover dressed perfectly from head to toe.
    awee... I can keep dreaming... I will have to say " The young and the restless" has the best picnics for couples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever we take a drive or a little day trip, we pack out lunch. We usually take egg salad sandwiches or peanut butter and jelly. With some chips and apple slices....we're ready to go. It sounds like fun right now! Enjoy your holiday week my friend! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.