Wednesday, July 2, 2014

PANZANELLA SALAD


We have been having some good meals around here this week.  We are still waiting for our kitchen to be finished, so I haven't been food shopping yet.  So I have been stopping at the grocery store each night after work and picking up something to cook.  Isn't this how they do it in Europe?  I feel so European.  (*smile*)

On Monday I made ground turkey into patties seasoned with salt, pepper and bacon/molasses barbeque seasoning.  So good.  I also sauted a yellow pepper with mushrooms and a red onion and had a cantaloupe for dessert.

Tuesday is the day Joe cooks because it is my late day.  He made some barbequed chicken thighs and we had a salad.

Tonight I stopped and was going to get some pork chops, but saw barbequed ribs on sale and you know I had to get them.  I saw today on Debbie Macomber's website a recipe for Panzanella Salad.  I have never made (or even eaten) Panzanella Salad.  But the recipe looked good and easy so I got the things I needed to make it.  I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.  I have enough ingredients to make it again this weekend and you know I will.  I did cheat because it was after work and I was tired.  I used croutons instead of cutting up bread.  And I used sea salt instead of kosher.  But otherwise I was true to the recipe.  When I make it again I will make more dressing, though.  The bread just soaked it up.

I forgot to take a picture of the one I made, so here is a picture I got from the Barefoot Contessa's site.



PANZANELLA SALAD
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
9 oz. day-old peasant bread, cut into large cubes (about 5 cups)
2 lbs. ripe tomatoes, cored and diced (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 lb. seedless peeled cucumbers, cut into large cubes (about 4 cups)

Instructions:
1.  Whisk together the lemon juice, zest, garlic, salt and pepper.  Add the oil gradually while whisking until thickened to make the dressing.  Set aside.

2.  Put the bread in a large salad bowl and pour about half the dressing over the bread.  Toss to moisten evenly.

3.  In a separate bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumbers and onions with the remaining dressing.  Fold the vegetables into the bread.  Let the salad rest in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours before serving.

Serves 8

Enjoy!

Kathy
---------------------------
Wednesday's weather:
High: 97 degrees (but at lunch it felt like 106*)
Low:  71 degrees
Bright sun today but thunderstorms tonight
Sunrise:  5:36 a.m.
Sunset:  8:33 p.m.
14 hours and 57 minutes of daylight 

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, That is a pretty salad and sounds good. Blessings to you and Joe for a great 4th. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that looks so yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.