Monday, July 14, 2014

MOVIE MONDAY -- SON OF GOD



Son of God is a 2014 American Christian movie feature, produced by Mark Burnett and Roma Downey. It was released in the United States on February 28, 2014.

Director:  Christopher Spencer
Rated PG-13 for intense and bloody depiction of the crucifixion and for some sequences of violence


*******************************
I wanted to see this movie when it was in the theater but never got there.  So I was excited when it showed up in the library this week.  I took it out right away and have been bugging Joe to watch it with me for several days.  Saturday night was the night to sit back and relax with this on the TV.

It began really good.  I was so impressed with how the Magi actually bowed to the ground in front of the baby Jesus.  OK, that was a little off since Jesus was about 2 years old when they showed up.  But a lot of people make that mistake.  After all, the Magi are in the manger scene at Christmas. 

But as the movie went on, Joe and I kept saying, "Wait a minute.  That didn't happen in quite that way."  Or, "Didn't that happen way before the last scene we just saw?"  And, "Well, that's just wrong.  That didn't happen."  And then we'd quote the scripture to each other to back up what we were saying was off.  The dialog was taken straight from the Bible and was great, but the whole movie was off chronologically.  And the end when Jesus doesn't ascend to heaven but suddenly disappears from sight was rather disturbing to me.  Especially when the Bible says we will see Him come back in the same way He went and we will be caught up to Him in the air.  I sort of felt as if I was watching "Star Trek" and the Father had "beamed Jesus up".

Here is a link to "Movie Mom" on belief.net.  I agree with her review of the movie.  Read it here. One thing she mentioned is that the devil is not in the movie at all so there is no reference to the temptation of Christ in the wilderness or to the Garden of Gethsemane.  It makes it sort of disjointed and leaves you feeling this is more of a political execution than a way of salvation.

Joe's rating of the movie was a thumbs down.
Mine is not so harsh.  If you know the Scriptures, you can watch it and understand what is going on.  So I am halfway between a thumbs up and a thumbs down.  A thumbs sideways?

Am I glad I watched it?  Yes.  Would I watch it again?  Probably not.

Kathy

3 comments:

  1. To be fair, I have not seen the movie. However, I did watch "The Bible" when it was on tv. Your
    review "Son of God" is exactly how I felt about "The Bible". Sorry,but I was in no hurry to see this one.
    As a christian,the discrepancies made it a little 'off ' for me. Appreciate & agree with your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I like for biblical movie to be accurate. But I think any movie that shows the Lord's work and wonders can have some good in it. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This movie always brings tears to my eyes.
    On your last post: those veggies sure looked good Kathy.
    Hope your kitchen is coming along.
    Xo Marissa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.