Thursday, June 5, 2014

WHAT'S BEEN HAPPENING

On Saturday Debbie and I went to the farm.  It was so nice being there again after this long winter and seeing all the fresh produce and plants.


We got there kind of late, so lots of things were sold out.  I got the last of the mushrooms, a bunch of beets, a bunch of spinach which we had that night (and it was VERY good), and a loaf of French bread.  That is long gone.  I think Joe and I ate the whole thing in two days.  That is not like us to eat that much bread but it was so good that we couldn't stop eating it.
 

I also bought a marigold plant.  So pretty.  I love marigolds and think I will buy one each time I go.  If they have them, that is.

The sunset that night was gorgeous.  It looked like a watercolor painting.
 


Monday I was so tired when I got home from work that I fell asleep on the sofa.  I woke up around 8:00 p.m. when Joe came downstairs to see if I was OK.  Instead of cooking we ended up going to Chick-fil-A.  We haven't been there in a long time.  Joe loves their grilled sandwiches.  He had two sandwiches and a bowl of chicken soup.  I had chicken strips and fries.




On Tuesday I noticed how pretty the hostas were in the church garden.  I loved the way the light and shadow played on them.
 

And the way the dogwood tree's branches looked.
 

We had a big wind storm on Saturday and this was the result.  One of the trees from the apartment complex behind the church fell in our direction and took out the chain link fence behind the church and the wooden fence around the parsonage.  Some guys were there cutting the tree into pieces to remove it.
 

After Bible study I went to the hospital to get my x-rays on my back and my foot and ankle.  I have been having a lot of pain.  The doctor wants to see if it is a fracture, arthritis, or something else.  They did not see a break in the ankle, so that is good news.  It might just be a bad sprain.

When I walked into the hospital I heard someone say, "What are you doing here?"  It was my best friend, Paulette.  She was there for a test also.  We sat together and talked awhile till I got called in.  Small world, isn't it.

Also on Tuesday we had a special guest at the library.  Mr. Q came to entertain the kids.  He has been there before and the kids just love him.  He had a bag full of puppets.  One of them was a cat named "Bow Wow."
 

He also did magic tricks.  His droopy wand...


... became tall and strong.  How did he do that?


He also sang a bunch of songs with the kids.  Here he has a maraca to keep the rhythm.
 

I was on the front desk when he was there and couldn't leave.  I grabbed my camera from my purse, but because I was so far away I had to use the zoom.  The pictures are a little fuzzy that way, but it was the best I could do.

Wednesday, however, was the topper to my week.  At 5:00 p.m. I left work with everyone else.  I got in the car and tried to start it.  Nothing.  I tried again.  Nothing.  It was completely dead.  I called Joe and my friends Walt and Carole.  They had an air conditioner repairman there and couldn't come to get me for an hour.  Meanwhile Joe was calling other people to try to get someone to drive him over to me and give me a jump.  We were assuming it was the battery.  I waited and waited in the hot car with all the windows wide open for air.

At one point I was wishing for the internet when I realized I had my kindle with me and the wifi from work was still on so I did have internet.  I posted on my facebook page for someone to help me.  Just after I did that the phone rang and Walt and Carole said they were on their way and to wait for them.

Then our mailman walked by.  He asked if I was OK.  I told him what was happening.  He said the same thing had happened to his wife just last week.  He asked if there were any lights going on on the dashboard.  I said yes.  He looked in the car and I turned the key and the car started.  I told him he was my "good luck charm."  He laughed and told me to keep the car running until my friends got there to follow me home.  If I turned it off it might not restart.

As he drove off, our next-door neighbor, Chrissy, drove up with Joe in her car.  That was so nice of her to do since her mom (my friend who I told you was dying) had passed away that morning.  She dropped him off and went on her way.  She had been willing to give us a jump, but now the car was running.

Just as she left Walt and Carole came.  Joe and I had decided to just take the car to the garage and get a ride home from them, so that is what we did.  They followed us over and we got there just as they were closing up.  

Joe spoke briefly to one of the owners and then we wrote a note and put the keys in the drop box.  When I opened the car door it started ringing as if I had left the keys in.  Obviously, the keys weren't there.  I checked the lights, the wipers, everything.  Nothing was on, but it kept ringing.  So I locked it and closed the door.  It immediately unlocked itself.  I thought, "that's strange", locked it again and shut the door again.  It unlocked itself again.  I asked Joe to lock it.  He did and it did the same thing to him.  So we grabbed all the CDs we had in there and the loose change and left it on the lot unlocked.  I will call the garage when it opens to let them know this new development.

Originally we were thinking it was just a new battery we needed, but now we are thinking it is either the electrical or one of the computer chips.  It most likely will be very expensive -- money we don't have.  Every time we start to get a little bit ahead we come up with something like this.  But at least we are home safe and sound.  My friend Carol (who celebrated her birthday with Joe last week) will give me a ride to work today.  Hopefully we will have the car to have Joe bring me home.  If not, we will have to rent a car so I can get to work on Friday.

It's always interesting at our house, that's for sure.  I'll let you know how things turn out.

---Kathy

3 comments:

  1. The pictures of the hostas & dogwood cane out gorgeous! I can now see how the play of light & shadow
    caught your eye. The library seems to be the "in" place to be. Lottsa fun!
    Your poor car! Praise the Lord you have such wonderful,caring friends.Imagine,even the mailman!
    I'll be praying for you. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had auite the week, Kathy, and it was really good until the news about your car. Hope the repair work turns out not to be costly. My car also goes in for repairs today because the passenger side window needs a new part. The library program looked good and it was a beautiful sunset. We also had a rain and thunderstorm overnight, and thankfully ni damage. Hope the week gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy,
    Sorry to hear about your car. I hope the repairs aren't so expensive.
    We have been though the same in one month I had to repair my car,
    re-do the rain tree irrigation system, and I had a costly tooth that needed a
    crown. NOT ONLY DID IT RAIN IT POURED!!!
    I hate when that happens.
    Oh and I hate when storms are so big trees fall.
    Chick fil a my favorite...
    next time try the chicken strips they are sooooo good..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.