Friday, May 16, 2014

IT'S FINISHED!


Having the kitchen torn up was an inconvience, but I did get a break from cooking for a couple of days.  On Wednesday night we ordered Chinese food.  I haven't had it in awhile and it was good.  We got soup for Joe and lo mein since he didn't want to burden his stomach just yet.

Yesterday morning Joe went to 7-11 to get breakfast for us.  When he came back he handed me this red rose, told me he loved me and thanked me for taking care of him while he was sick.  So sweet!


The kitchen guys showed up around 7:45 and before I left for work at 11:30 they had finished the kitchen.  They even put new knobs on the upper cabinets which they had not worked on and hung a light over my "black hole" sink.  We had a light but as they were going to hang it, found out it did not work.  So we ran to Home Depot and got another one.  The guys hung it for us and didn't even charge us.  Said it was a pleasure to do it for us.  So nice!  It's so bright in the kitchen now!


I love the brushed pewter handles on the drawers and knobs on the cabinets.  We picked materials that are stock items so that when we get enough money we will redo the upper cabinets also and make them match.  It looks like there is a drawer under the sink, but it is actually a little 8 inch by 2 inch pull down cup to hold your soap pads, etc.  Very clever.  We did not have that before.


I should be a designer.  I like how it all looks.  Well, at least I'm a designer for myself!




You can see that the cabinets are a slightly different color.  We went from oak to walnut.  I like the walnut better.  And this picture shows the knobs which are slightly different than the pewter ones, but will do for right now.  I bought the knobs years ago and never was able to put them on.  I think I spent around $2 for 10 knobs.

Last night was the Book Club meeting at work.  Joe is part of the club so I went home at dinner time and brought  him back for the meeting.  On the way home we stopped at Sonic for dinner.  That's always a treat.


This morning I started putting some things back on the counter.  Joe is scrubbing everything down while I am at work.  I know he will have to move some of these things, but at least I could use it for breakfast.  Next month we do it all over again when we get the new floor laid the second week of June.  That will be much more intensive since EVERYTHING has to be removed from the room.

Enjoy your day!

Kathy
---------------------------------
Friday's weather:
Heavy rain and high winds
High:  70
Low:  55
Sunrise:  5:44 a.m.
Sunset:  8:10 p.m.
14 hours and 26 minutes of daylight


13 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous Kathy...you must be so pleased!
    Glad Joe is better...we have had a bug for a few weeks, and just starting to feel normal!
    Enjoy your weekend...in your new kitchen!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Glad you are feeling better. Those bugs just seem to be going around all over.

      Delete
  2. Kathy,
    I can't believe I missed it.
    Your kitchen looks fabulous!
    How exciting for you and Joe and you know what they say. One project leads to another....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Marissa. We're calling the electrician next. Then it's painting the walls and ceilings and getting new rugs.

      Delete
  3. Your kitchen looks great. I didnt see it before, but now it is great. Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday to you, Linda. Thanks, I think it looks great too. The best part is the drawers actually work without falling on my foot!

      Delete
  4. Kathy, A kitchen can make a woman want to cook and create, or flat out want to scream. The thing I like about my kitchen is the window over the sink. That's a must for me. I have always had small kitchens. Ours needs so re-arranging...but I am never going to worry about it.LOL. Bless Joe's heart, to bring you a rose . You might want to keep him.:):) xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had a window over my sink, even growing up, so that is not a priority for me. Besides, I don't stand there and do dishes anyway. My back is too bad these days, so Joe got me a dishwasher when we redid the kitchen the first time. I've always had small kitchens too. A small kitchen doesn't bother me either.

      Yeah, Joe is a sweetie to give me that rose. I think you're right -- I'll keep him around. ;)

      Delete
  5. Kitchen is FABULOUS!!! The handles look great. I like the idea of the soap pad drawer. Never heard of it,but how convenient.I have a regular window by my sink but in nice weather, I leave the inner door open,
    preferring to look out the storm door. I like the 'big picture' & seeing the birds I feed.
    How thoughtful of Joe! Every woman should have those special moments....
    Enjoy your new kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. And thanks for your help getting ready for the upgrade.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.