Saturday, February 1, 2014

LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP


From the Faithful Moments calendar.  Illustration by Lisa Blowers.





Love and friendship make the world go round.  At least they make my world go round.

What would I do without my friends?  They make my life so much better and more fulfilled.  They are there for me when so many of my family aren't.  I think we all have someone in our life we can always count on and for me it's my friends.  You can find a friend in every part of your life -- family, work, school, church.  

My best friend is my sister, Elaine.  Family can be best friends, right?  She is always there for me.  She listens to me, helps me, supports me, puts herself out for me.  I don't know what I would do without her.  I only hope I can be the same kind of friend for her, although I know I fall way short on some days.  I love my sister so much.  Friendship and love can go together.

Some friends are there for a season.  I made a couple of really good friends in college.  We hung out together all the time.  But when we left school we drifted apart into our own lives and I don't know where they are now.  In fact, I don't even remember their last names.  But I remember Deb and Barb.  And if I saw them tomorrow I know we could just pick up as if the years had never passed.

On the other hand, love is so complex.  There are so many different kinds of love.  Love for God.  Love for parents.  Love for siblings.  Love for your boy/girlfriend.  Love for your husband or wife.  Love for your friends.  I guess that's why in Greek there are three different words for love.  That makes sense to me.  I don't love ice cream in the same way I love Joe.

What is really important in my marriage is that I married a friend that I loved.  I married a friend that was there for me.  A friend I could talk to about anything.  Someone I had been friends with for 14 years.  That's a pretty good basis for falling in love.

I wish for you friends.  Lots of friends.  And I wish for you love.  Lots of love.
----------------------------------------
Saturday's weather:
High:  50 degrees
Low:  35 degrees
(We're having a heat wave!  It's downright tropical!)
Sunrise:  7:09 a.m.
Sunset:  5:20 p.m.
10 hours and 11 minutes of daylight!

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post today. I "loved it." Not like I love Howard or my children or my dog, Mele, but I loved it. Liked it? It sort of loses a bit of what I am trying to convey when I use "like."
    Smile today..you are delightful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the good wishes Kathy. I have a g.friend , that no matter how long we are apart, we always take up where we left off. She was a young girl next door, she baby sat my daughters growing up lots. She and I wrote and stayed in touch when she moved away. She moved back, we are still friends. Although we see each other maybe twice a year...we still laugh and enjoy our time. Have a beautiful Sunday, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes friends and love are so very important in our lives. I have been blessed with a lot of both. We warmed up to 70 degrees today, it was wonderful! Hope you continue to have warmer weather as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean! It seems there are 'seasons' in friendships. God sends us the friends we need at the time we need them - or the times THEY need US! I think it is natural that we don't always have the same friends for a whole lifetime. I know some people are blessed like that. We change. No one stays the same. Our needs change. So our friends change. Unless you are the select few that are blessed with friends from childhood on and remain close. Most people have many friends but only a few really CLOSE ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very fortunate because my friend Debbie that I often mention has been my friend for over 40 years. Some friends do stick around.

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet post, Kathy. My friends are better than my family. They are always there for me, most of the time! I love and appreciate them. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post started my day with a case of warm fuzzies. I too married my friend though we only knew each other 3 years. It'll be 27 years come October!

    There's no lack of unconditional love in our home with 3 dogs & a cat. Feeling a bit down? One of our furry girls will come over. "It'll be okay. Let's go for a walk!" Surprisingly? They're right! I do feel better!

    Remember, love isn't love till you give it away!

    Have a beautiful day! See ya at the Puppy Bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your post alot.Great thoughts! Friends are there for a season. I still keep in touch with a few friends from grade school. 3 of us have Feb. birthdays and we send cards to each other. I had a good friend from Air Force basic training and went to the same base for tech school. Visited each other for years. One year she didn't want to communicate with me any more which was sad as I miss her. I think of her often and pray for her. Sigh! Love is a many splendered thing, remember that song? Many versions, meanings and they are all good. Phil and I saw each other almost every day after we started getting serious with each other. 10 months later we were married and the rest is history. Love my children, daughter in love and grandchildren, mom, brothers, friends......most importantly I love the Lord! Hugs and have a good day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.