Friday, January 24, 2014

COLD

Can you say "cold"?  Can you say it with your teeth chattering?  How about with scarves over your face and shivering?

It is C-O-L-D!!!!  And there is no relief in sight.  We officially got 13 1/2 inches of snow in Philadelphia.  We are expecting another 1 to 3 inches of snow on Saturday.  And then more the following Saturday.  Temperatures do not get above 30 degrees for the foreseeable future.  This winter is brutal!

It was back to work yesterday.  It was my late day so I worked until 8 p.m.  I was so afraid I would not have a place to park when I returned home, but God was so good and my spot was still there for me.

It was busy at work.  Some of the staff did not make it in which made it even busier.  But the day went really quickly for me which was good as far as I was concerned.  There is still so much paperwork from the end of the year that I have not had a chance to do.  I am working on Saturday so hopefully I can get it done then.

So I guess from that you know I am off from work today.  Lots I need to get done.  I hope I have the energy to do it.  I have been so tired and have just been napping sleeping all the time.  Let's be real here.  When I don't wake up until 2 p.m. it's not a nap.  I am so behind on everything.

Joe was able to get Jenny from the vet's today.  She and Snowy had a standoff with hissing and growling on Jenny's part.  When I came home from work Jenny was missing.  I don't know where she was (we searched the whole house) but she finally showed up.  She is letting us pet her and is purring so I know she is glad to be home.  I would be glad to be home too.  Joe said she is pulling at her stitches, but she wasn't doing that when I saw her.  We have to take her back in a week to get the stitches out.

I have discovered one-pan meals (thanks to one of my blog friends) and I am loving them.  Wednesday night I put four flounder fillets, some Brussels sprouts and some frozen french fries on a large cookie sheet, coated them with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary, and baked them for 400 degrees for 30 minutes.  Everything came out perfectly and was so good.  Last night I had four crab cakes (the ones I get at our supermarket are made there and are so very, very good), some broccoli and some more fries on the cookie sheet.  I put olive oil and salt on the broccoli and olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder on the fries and baked them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  Again, everything was perfect and tasted oh so good.  The best part is that all you have to clean up is your cups, dishes, silverware and one pan.  I am definitely going to be doing this on my late nights at work.  Easy and a lot cheaper than buying sandwiches or hot bowls on the way home.

Tonight I am taking dinner over to my pastor's house again.  This time I am making baked rosemary chicken, rice and some veggie (haven't decided what).  At least we don't have any errands to run, so I can make our meal at the same time and eat when we return.  He lives about four minutes from our house and I'm sure if I leave things in the oven they won't get cold in less than 10 minutes.

I'm going to leave you with a couple more pictures of the aftermath of the storm in my yard.  It really will be pretty and colorful with flowers in about 6 weeks.  I promise that you will see pictures of that too!


========================
Thursday's weather
Sunny
High:  22 degrees
Low:  6 degrees (wind chill -5 degrees)
Sunrise:  7:16 a.m.
Sunset:  5:09 p.m.
9 hours and 53 minutes of daylight
 

2 comments:

  1. It has been a rather long cold spell.... Hard to believe that flowers will (eventually!) pop up.I'll be happy when I can walk my 'girls' (dogs) again. There is something to be said for routine...
    I'm glad to hear Jenny is home & healing.....and she stood up for herself. It's surprising you weren't given one of the
    'collars' to keep her from her stitches. I'm used to the dogs getting them....I guess cats don't.
    Thank you for the pics. Stay cozy & warm,my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brutal is a good description of this winter. I am fed up! Flowers in 6 weeks? I hope so, but that won't happen here, I don't think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.