Sunday, December 1, 2013

FIRST SUNDAY OF ADVENT


THIS IS THE CANDLE OF HOPE
 We can have hope because God is faithful and will keep the promises made to us. Our hope comes from God.
************************************************
Is it starting to feel like Christmas to you?  I guess because Thanksgiving was so late this year I'm not there yet.  But I'm doing Christmasy things so I hope I get the feeling SOON!

I walked into church today and was amazed at the beautiful job the ladies did on decorating the church.  The tree was up and lit and there was a beautiful wreath behind the pulpit.  The nativity scene was on the communion table and there were poinsettias around the sanctuary.  It was gorgeous.

I started cleaning and decorating the kitchen.  It's looking nice.  Here's a couple of pictures for you.


I love these cute Christmas placemats my friend Debbie gave me a couple of years ago.


I ended up giving my elf Christmas countdown to my daughter-in-law.  When I went back to get another one they were all out so I got this snowman instead.  But it matches the placemats so well that I'm glad it worked out this way.


What would Christmas be without a bowl of peppermints?
 There is so much more to do, but at least I made a start.  I'll be sure to take pictures as I go along.  I want to have most of the house done before my sister comes to visit next weekend.

Before dinner we lit our first candle on the advent wreath.  When we opened the box it had directions in it with prayers for blessing the wreath and a prayer for each candle.  I have a book of devotions for every day of advent so we are all set.  It was such a meaningful time and I am looking forward to doing it each evening before we eat.

I made rosemary chicken and roasted potatoes for dinner tonight.  Oh my, how good it was.  I have got to do that again.

Back to work tomorrow.  When I work Saturdays the weekend seems so short.  I am planning on showing you some more of my brother's photos tomorrow so stay tuned.  Until later...
-------------------------------
Today's weather:
Fair
High:  48 degrees
Low:  33 degrees
Sunrise:  7:03 a.m.
Sunset:  4:35 p.m.
9 hours and 32 minutes of daylight
Moonphase:  waning crescent
 

3 comments:

  1. we started our advent reading tonight from the ebook, The Greatest Gift, by Ann Voskamp. Interesting. We've not done advent calendar, used to at church years ago. Interesting concept. My daughter, who is in her 30s, always liked the advent wreath with candles and meaning of it. Well, we could have started it a long time ago if she liked it that much. Oh well, can do it anyway with candles? At least we are reading about the root of Jesse and how it grows into our Lord. And we are waiting for Him to return for us. Soon?! It's windy and rainy here, 48 degrees. May need to go out and take thermometer off garage wall since wind is trying to blow it off. Oh my!Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... I like the Snowman very much.
    And for the peppermints, well, you are tight it says, looks and tastes like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the short time between the holidays this year it seems such a rush. I am in Christmas mood but need more of the music. The inside of our house looks like a Christmas store. My hubby loves to decorate!
    The snowman does match the mats. How about that? Looks nice. We have a snowman motif this year & they're always cheerful looking. Plus they can stay up a little longer than "Santas'.
    Just a tip I'd like to pass on to those with children who cry & fuss with Santa photos. If you want those pictures, try taking the child to a Santa Paws (for pets) location. If the child is old enough,ask for help in calming the pet for Santa.The child's attention will be more on the pet,less on Santa or self. Most malls are doing early hours for pet owners. Less stress & parents have the photo!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.