Wednesday, December 11, 2013

CHILLY DAY SOUP

And today was a chilly day.  It snowed again today.  The schools were closed.  We got about another 3 inches, but not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.  There was a lot of ice, but I drove carefully so was OK getting back and forth to work.

This was my late day.  I go in at 11:30 a.m. and get out at 8:00 p.m.  Usually I make something quick and easy for dinner or buy something on the way home.  I was going to make spaghetti and meatballs, but when I got home I just didn't feel like it.  I had a little bit of a rotisserie chicken left from Saturday that I wanted to use up and thought about making a quick soup.  So I got out my Amish and Mennonite cookbook (one of my favorites) and looked in the chapter on soups to find something to make.  It just seemed like a soup day.  I leafed through until I saw this soup.  "Well, it's a chilly day,"  I thought.  "Let's try it."

I am so glad I made this.  It was so very good and very easy.  I did the whole thing in less than an hour.  The only thing I did differently was add the chicken to the soup which was just great.  So I thought I would pass it on to you.

CHILLY DAY SOUP
(Taken from "From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens"
by Phyllis Pellman Good and Rachel Thomas Pellman)
Makes 6-8 servings

1 large carrot
2 cups water
2 large onions
1 quart diced potatoes
2 tablespoons rice
1/3 cup macaroni
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter

1.  Chop carrot and cook in 2 cups water.  While cooking chop onion.
2.  When carrot is partially cooked, add onions, potatoes, rice, macaroni, salt and pepper.  Add enough water to cover and cook until tender.
3.  Add milk and butter and heat thoroughly.

Variations:
1.  Add 2 cups chicken broth in place of milk and butter.
2.  Add 1 cup cooked meat to soup when milk is added.

Try it.  I think you'll like it.
-------------------------------
Tuesday's weather
Snow
High:  36 degrees
Low:  27 degrees
Sunrise:  7:12 a.m.
Sunset:  4:35 p.m.
9 hours and 23 minutes of daylight

4 comments:

  1. It's funny you mentioned meatballs. I made pasta & meat sauce for dinner!
    Ha ha!. the soup sounds delicious. I'll bet it really warmed you up!
    It's supposed to be really icy today. Be careful & stay safe,my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Amish and Mennonite cookbooks, especially those written by the Pellman's. Recipe sounds so good. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog...
    Hope to see you again!
    This soup sounds yummy♥
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, you can't go wrong with an amish recipe. I love soups and stews when it is cold out.xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.