Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A VISITOR AND A TURKEY DINNER

About a month ago a stray cat showed up at my door.  She was so sweet, rubbed against me, wanted to be held and petted.  Not a feral cat at all.  You could tell she belonged to someone at one point.  But she was like a walking skeleton.  I began leaving food out for her and trying to find her a home.  I wanted to bring her in and keep her but our little princess Jenny was having none of that.

But every once in awhile when Jenny was upstairs Oreo (as we named her) would sneak in, eat Jenny's food, get warm and then leave.  Sunday night, however, she came in for the whole night.  After she ate she curled up on the sofa and went to sleep.  Jenny was furious.  Hissing, snarling, growling.  Oreo didn't do anything, didn't even acknowledge that Jenny was there.  I had great hopes of things working out.  But after spending the night Oreo was at the front door howling, scratching, and trying her best to get out.  So I let her go.  She still comes running for pets when she sees me and eats the food I put out (she's gaining weight) but she doesn't want to live inside.  Go figure.

I took some pictures of her when she was in here.  She is so cute.

This is why I call her Oreo.  She has a black head, black tail, and is white in the middle with cookie sized spots on her.

Look at that face!

She's very clean and gave herself a bath after she ate.

She washed every bit of herself.

And got into some weird positions.

Before finally settling down for a nap.
 So after that experience I had Monday off for Columbus Day.  I had a 5 pound turkey breast in the freezer that I wanted to use, so I invited Carole and Walt over for dinner.  They are so good to us, help us out so much, that I wanted to do this for them.  I don't like turkey and rarely eat it, but I do know how to cook it.  Everyone said it turned out wonderful.  I had a whole Thanksgiving dinner -- turkey, gravy, stuffing, potatoes, green beans and cranberries.  I even had pumpkin pie for dessert.  It was good.  There was not a lot left.

Tuesday it was back to work.  Although it was busy, it was not overwhelming and was a rather pleasant day.  It's so nice to have more pleasant days than not at work.  Ever since the kids have gone back to school the whole atmosphere has changed.  I'm enjoying it.

And so now it's about 1:30 a.m. and I am still trying to get things cleaned up for the Physical Therapist and the Nurse who are coming to see Joe tomorrow while I am at work.  So much still to do.  But I am really tired, so I think I am going to go to sleep for a few hours and get up and finish early tomorrow before I go to work.  Oh the life I live.

Until later...

SunnyTuesday -- sunny
High:  73 degrees at 3:05 p.m.
Low:  49 degrees at 7:05 a.m.
Sunrise:  7:11 a.m.
Sunset:  6:20 p.m.
11 hours and 9 minutes of daylight.

 

6 comments:

  1. Good for you & Oreo! She got a nice meal,a place to bathe & rest in safety,Jenny notwithstanding. If I was being hissed at,I wouldn't want to stay
    either. As the weather turns colder,I am sure she'll appreciate whatever
    respite you offer. She may have a Tramp spirit,like from Lady & the Tramp? He had many homes....
    May God bless you for what you do for her.Jenny needs to wake up & realize how blessed SHE is that she has a home,meals etc.I am very blessed as my girls (3 dogs +1 cat) all share. "Mom" makes sure of that!
    I wish you all the best in helping Oreo. Maybe someone reading your
    blog can give her a home....Stranger things happen.
    Have a beautiful day!! Lottsa love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oreo knew she'd find a very kind person at your house!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oreo is cute! That was such a blessing for him he found you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cats have cat-a-tude, that's what I say. Pretty cat. Girl what were you still doing up at 1:30 in the morning????You need to get some sleep when you have to work. LOL Hope you get to have some wonderful fall weather. The last time I was through your state it snowed on us before we got out and it was around the 22nd of Oct.....scary huh? Take care. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post! Some cats just want to live outside! My neighbor had one - for 17 years!
    Your dinner sounds yummy!! I am fasting in prep for a medical test tomorrow and my mouth was watering when I read your menu!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice cat, glad she's getting healthier. Hopefully her owners find her if she's lost. Maybe a drop off cat. I try to get a few things done before I go to work, if I get up in time. Laundry folded or kitchen work. Sigh! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.