Friday, August 2, 2013

SISTERS' WEEK -- DAY SIX (THURSDAY)

This vacation is not going at all like I expected.  I was going to go to Elaine's house today, but it poured rain.  Sort of like on Sunday.  Thunder, lightning, flooded streets.  Elaine left her girlfriend's house this morning and it took her an extra hour to get home.  We talked and decided I would wait until tomorrow morning to go up.  It's supposed to be sunny then.

We were celebrating Bob's birthday at work today.  Even though it's not until next Thursday, he will be on vacation then.  I went and got a card and some soft pretzels.  Bob would never eat a cake. I had an interlibrary loan to pick up and some books to return, so I used that as an excuse to show up.  I just hung around and when Bob asked why I wasn't leaving, I told him I just wanted to check my work email.  So I logged on and Marquita ran around with the card getting everyone to sign it.  Then Diane called Bob out to the desk to "help her with a problem" and we rushed around setting everything up.  Jerry (the boss) called him and told him he needed to talk to him privately in the workroom.  When Bob walked in we all started singing "Happy Birthday" to him.  He was really surprised.  So we actually pulled it off.  What is more, it was the first time in three months the four library assistants were all in the building and not substituting at the McPherson Square Branch.  Hopefully that will be the norm really soon.

Tonight I invited our friends Walt and Carole over for dinner.  I had pork steaks, mashed potatoes and zucchini for dinner.  For dessert I had the cantaloupe I bought in Lancaster.  Everything was really good.

So even though it didn't work out as planned, it was still a good day.  Tomorrow I will head to northern New Jersey for the State Fair.  Until later...

4 comments:

  1. Kathy,
    I can't believe how fast your vacation days are going by. Hope you and your sister had a great day today(Friday). Glad your Thursday turned out well. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great alternative to cake...soft pretzels! I love soft pretzels!! That was nice that you all surprised him! I hope you have fun with your sister too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good friend to those around you!! Your sweetness just shows everywhere you go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plans always seem to change don't they? Glad you still had a good day though. I love it that you all always celebrate everyone's birthday. It's so nice when all co-workers get along and are like family :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.