Sunday, August 4, 2013

SISTERS' WEEK -- DAY SEVEN (FRIDAY)

Sorry I've been MIA but I have been at my sister's house and for some reason I could not get on her wifi with my laptop.  So I will spend the next few days catching up with you.

Friday morning dawned beautiful and I made my 2 1/2 hour drive to Elaine's house.  I usually have no problem with the drive, but for some reason that day there was a lot of traffic, roads torn up, people darting out in front of me (both in cars and on foot) and by the time I got there I was on the car phone with Joe in tears.  It usually would not bother me at all and I don't know why it did that day.  But the important thing is that I got there safely.

After I unpacked the car and got myself settled we went out to go to the New Jersey State Fair.


Every year I take a picture of the fair as it comes into sight.  It's very exciting.
 We spent about 3 hours there and saw just about everything.  There are always some things we are not interested in.  But the things we were, we got to see.  I did not think I could last that long with my bad back and knees, and I did have to sit down a lot, but we had so much fun.

We saw some of the equestrian judging.



I always love seeing the quilts.  I think they get better every year.  How could anyone choose which one is the best?




In the same building as the quilts was the juried art exhibit.  Beautiful drawings, painting, sculpture and photography.  Of course I couldn't take any pictures.  Too bad because the work was gorgeous!

We had hot dogs, fries and lemonade for lunch.  Real fair food.  Then we went to the Commercial Tent and the Craft Tent.  We were sort of disappointed because it was much smaller than in previous years.  I always look for something unique for Christmas gifts, but there were practically no vendors there at all.  We don't know if the fee is too high or if the sponsors are more interested in the "State Fair" and 4-H aspect of it.  I did get a soy candle scented "Hot Apple Pie."  Yum!  It smells so good.  And Elaine highly recommended this almond pound cake mix, so I got a box of that.  I bought a couple of 50/50 chances from the Marine Corps League and a Marine Corps hat for Joe.  I also got a pair of turquoise and silver earrings from Peru.  They are really pretty.

Look at this Cinderella coach!  Isn't it beautiful?

We went to see the woodcarver, but it was between shows.  It was an hour till the next performance and we didn't feel like hanging around that long.


My favorite part, though, is the landscaping exhibits.  So beautiful.











This was a fountain in the pathway.  The petals of the flower are stone and the center is a bubbling fountain.


And old tractors.  Elaine thought it was strange that I took pictures of tractors.  But I live in the city and these are not common where I am.



We had such a good day.


5 comments:

  1. What a fun day! I love fairs. I would have totally had to of road that ferris wheel though :)

    I love all the pictures. Looks like a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good time at the fair. I haven't gone to our state fair in awhile. I went the last time when veterans got in free. I like to look at all the quilts and textile exhibits too. Entered photography a few times, hard to get accepted any more. Too much running to enter photos then go get them. So when I remember, I get some ready for an art show in Aug. Actually its, happening this week. Thanks for sharing your time with your sister. My sis lives the same distance away as yours! Traffic can be a pain at times. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!!
    looks like you had a fun, fun time.
    I wish they could make a fair here like that. I love the pictures .. looks very cool. Over here HOT, HOT,HOT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures Kathy. It looked like lots of fun. Whenever I would go to our state fair..I always went to the srt exhibit. I loved looking at chickens and horses too. Glad you had fun with your sister. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love the pictures of the landscaping. I noticed quite a few coleus;looks like I'm not the only one who admires their variety of colors!
    Glad you both had a good time...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.