Wednesday, July 31, 2013

SISTERS' WEEK -- DAY FOUR (TUESDAY)

Today Elaine and I headed to beautiful Lancaster County, PA.  It's one of our favorite places -- so beautiful and peaceful.





This is one of my favorite pictures of the day.



The first place we went was the Bird-in-Hand farmer's market.  The market itself wasn't open, but the stores were.  So we looked around one of them.  I ended up getting some light bulbs for the night light in my kitchen and some flame bulbs for the candle I put in my window during the fall and winter.  I also got a handmade quilted Christmas wreath.  It was so unique that even though it was a little pricy, I couldn't resist.  

Next we went to Kitchen Kettle Village.  It's a place we go to every year.

Look at the beautiful scene that was in front of us as we parked the car!

Kitchen Kettle Village is a group of cute little shops and restaurants.




As usual we went to the Christmas Shop first.




Each year we go there and choose an ornament.  Just one allowed.  We look and look through the whole store until one just jumps out at us as "the one."  Sometimes there is nothing that seems special.  But this year I had a hard time choosing between five different ones.  I ended up with a beautiful angel.

We also went to the Jam and Relish shop.  Always a must.  They have the BEST food for sale.  I ended up with tortilla chips, mild salsa, sweet potato butter and peanut butter schmeer.  So good!

We also stopped at the flower shop.  Elaine bought a buttercup hosta for her yard.  I looked at several plants and was tempted, but I am running short on money, so decided to pass for right now.




They also had some autumn things out for sale.  It reminded me that the summer is half over and autumn will be here before we know it.

I was fortunate enough to get a picture of an Amish horse and buggy before we left.

From there we left and went to Rockvale Mall which is all outlets.  You get really good buys there.  We started out at Lenox because it was buy one, get one 1/2 off.

I collect the midnight cats series and was missing the newest two of them.  I couldn't afford both, but got one of them.  I'll get the other one in a couple of months.  I'm sure it will still be there.  I love them because they are black cats like my first cat Fluffy and my current cat Jenny.  I love black cats.

Next we headed over to Haggar's.  They had pants in Joe's size for only $18 so I got two pair.  He has lost so much weight that his pants just fall right off of him.  Not good.  So now he has two more pair that fit him -- khaki and black.

Finally we went to Reading China and Glass.  This is a dangerous store for me because I always end up buying way more than I should.  I could have easily spent over $200 in there today, but I reined myself in and bought less than $20.  Yay for me!  One of the things I got was a container of stovetop wipes that says it gets rid of grease, stains, baked on food, etc.  Let's see if they work.

By now we were both hungry so we went to Hershey Farm for dinner.  Because there's ...


We both got the grand smorgasbord because I had a coupon to buy one, get one free.  That was a good price!  We just split the bill when it came and each got a meal for half price.  Then Elaine took the half mile walk around the grounds while I went to the motel office and made a reservation for Joe and me for our anniversary.  We stayed there on our honeymoon and we are excited to go back there in September.  Everything is newly remodeled, so that will be great.



Then I walked around taking pictures of the grounds and the farm animals.
One of the pots of flowers outside of the motel.

I love Famous Amos.

Goats and chickens.




Elaine

Me with one of the most beautiful hibiscus plants I have ever seen.

This is the entrance.  Isn't it beautiful?
 We went through the stores and bought a few things -- cookies for work, a cantaloupe for home (for $1!) and then took off to go home because we wanted to get back at a decent hour.

It's been a fun couple of days.  And there is still more to come.

I wanted to end with a video of the banjo players at Kitchen Kettle Village.  They have been there for years.  They are really a part of the place.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, Wow.. looks like you are really having a good time. My husband has been to Lancaster I have not, so when I saw this post I had to call him and yup he was instantly reminded of all the beauty out there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your pictures! The pics after you said you were going to the flower shop,there is a planter (?)or a bird in a planter; either way it is so unique! I like it.
    I know what you mean about being able to spend money in places like that. I'm proud of you for keeping to $20.Good for you!
    With all that shopping,I'd
    be too tired to drive. Lunch then...nap time! Ha HA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.