Monday, July 22, 2013

A FUNERAL DAY AND MORE

This morning Joe and I attended my uncle's funeral.  It was very sad.  When I went in and saw him in the coffin I broke down.  He looked just like my dad laying there.  They could have been twins.  It was hard.

The good part was I had a chance to be with my three aunts (the only siblings left of 13) and a whole room full of my cousins, most of whom I had not seen in 15-20 years or more.  I have the three sweetest aunts imaginable and I'm so glad I had a chance to be with them.

The funeral procession to the cemetary was huge.  We were car number 20 out of 32.  Every time we went through an intersection, people would look and look and you could see them counting the cars.  Occasionally you would see someone mouth the word "Wow"!  We were told the cemetary was "right down the street" from the funeral home, but it took 20 minutes and a lot of twists and turns to get there.



My cousin Butch was having a luncheon at his house, but we just wanted to go home.  So we headed out to go home and change our clothes.  Then we went to lunch at Arby's.



I am not a big fan of Arby's.  Although the food and service are good, their prices are high if you do not have a coupon.  Joe had never been there, though, and wanted to try it.  Lunch for the two of us was over $15 which I thought was a bit much for two sandwiches and fries.  The restaurant is a pretty cool building though.  I love the windows and ceiling.  And because it's Philly there are Liberty Bells all over the place.


 
Arby's has a bell by the door.  If you like the food and service, you ring the bell as you leave.  Of course Joe had to ring it. (Sorry the picture is so blurry.)


Joe made a phone call to the pharmacy when he got home.  He had gotten only part of his prescription and was looking for the rest of it.  It had been sent to the Queen's Village store instead of the Bridesburg one, so we took a ride down to South Philly to pick it up.  I got off at the wrong exit and we ended up driving all over center city trying to find the right place.  We knew it was on 2nd Street, but because of buildings the street would start and stop so we were on every street imaginable before we got there.  We drove through Chinatown for part of it.



And saw this really interesting building when I was stopped for a red light at 2nd and Chestnut.

 
Coming home we drove along the Delaware River and I saw so many shots that I would love to have taken.  I think one Saturday I will go down, park somewhere, and walk along the river getting some good pictures.  If you don't live in Philly, you have no idea just how beautiful this city is.

We stopped at Dollar Tree to get a couple of bottles of liquid hand soap.  But of course we came away with $20 of things.  I don't know about you, but I just cannot go in a dollar store and not buy stuff.  The prices are so good.  One of the things I got was this cute little solar light which I put in the front window.  It was too late in the day for it to get enough sun to light up tonight, but it will be great tomorrow.  I will have to take a picture of it in the daylight because it really is nice looking with my solar flower.


So now I am going to make dinner and get to cleaning the house.  It is terrible!  I am not kidding.  Please don't report me to the hoarders television program.  Ha, ha.

Have a good evening everyone.  Tomorrow it is back to work at the Richmond Branch for me.


Partly CloudyHigh of 90 degrees at 4:25 p.m.  Partly cloudy.

6 comments:

  1. Kathy, One thing about small town living...you can't get lost.:):) I bet there all kinds of interesting places to go and visit in your town. Are you and your husband originally from there? He must have been loving his lunch, in the picture. Glad you saw some family members, just sad how it came about. Now your uncle and dad are together. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm glad to know you are a fellow royal fan. :) Sorry you had to be attending a funeral yesterday. :( I suppose the prince news cheered you up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little streets! Russ & I occasionally take walks from
    2nd St to 12th or where-ever our errands are. We use the less traveled streets such as Walnut,Spruce etc. The archetecture
    on the upper part of the older buildings is incredible! I look up so much if it wasn't for hubby,I'd probably trip over my two feet! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, sounds like a long day. I am glad you got to visit with your cousins and family I think that is the best part of funerals. We always say. we don't see the extended family as much as we should only at funerals I think we need to change that.. have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been to Philly!! It is on my Bucket List!!

    I am so sorry for your loss. He must have been a very loved man to have so many at the funeral. It's a shame families don't get together more often. It is weddings and funerals we tend to come together. Family Reunions are nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with what Linda said, it's sad that families only come around when there is a funeral. Sad.
    Sorry again Kathy for your loss.
    Yep the dollar tree is a difficult store for me to go through too without picking up stuff.

    Have a great rest of the week.

    Hugs, Viola

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.