Monday, July 15, 2013

A DAY AT MCPHERSON

I had my first day of my week at the McPherson Square branch of the library today.  And what a day it was!  I knew I was running late, but when I went in I was the first Library Assistant there. What???  Well, it turns out that I was the ONLY Library Assistant there.  Karen called out sick and Jackie didn't come in until noon.  (And Jackie is often late.)  So I set up the front desk, the cash register, and spent the next two hours making library card after library card between checking people in and out and answering all kinds of questions.  Shelving?  Forget about that.  I just threw the books in a bin and hoped for a chance to get to it.

When Jackie came in she took the desk so that I could sit down for a few minutes.  But it wasn't long before I was back on the desk doing more library cards and checking people in and out.

At least I did get an hour lunch break, but then it was more of the same in the afternoon.  However....

It is 9:12 p.m. and 93* out.  The mayor has called a heat emergency for the city.  That means certain buildings stay open until 7:00 p.m. to provide a cooling station for the public.  A lot of people in Philadelphia are very poor and cannot afford air conditioning.  So this gives them a place to go to cool off.  McPherson Square Library is one of those cooling stations.  I was offered one hour of overtime and I jumped at the chance.  It is so seldom I can get OT and I desperately need the money.  Especially with vacation coming up.  I will see how I feel tomorrow and if they need me and I can get two hours of OT.

During that hour I straightened up the desk for the night, closed out the cash register and shelved (and shelved and shelved) books.  I also sat there and chatted with Rob the guard.  It was the easiest money I have ever made.  NO ONE was in the library except for the staff.  A few people wandered in for a drink of cold water, but that was it.

So now I am easing down to get ready for bed and (hopefully) get some sleep.  Four more days at McPherson and 13 days to vacation!

5 comments:

  1. Your heat wave has made the news all the way out here.
    Hope you will be able to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a busy busy day lady! Get some rest and stay cool. The Heat Wave is coming our way this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, Wow.. 93* is a cool front for us... It has been 108 and sometimes hotter.. here , if you want to run errands its either early in the morning or late in the evening.. heat advisorys are during the day.. but, there is nothing like Texas evenings (between 730 and 9.00) we get the ocean breeze and it is wonderful... today looks like rain Thank God!!! I hope you stay inside where its nice and cool.. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What a day you had! I totally feel for you(& celebrate the ot!). I think it's nice when you can end the day on a more relaxed note.
    I was at the shelter5 (PSPCA) today doing laundry. Guess what? I
    was the photographer's assistant to take pics of the adoptable cats
    for our website.It was really cool!
    I held the reflective light & 'herded' the cat to make sure it stayed put. I can't wait to do it again.
    Stay cool,my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy,

    Ok, so I have to ask what are the big plans for vacation? Or are you guys gonna hang out at home and do a staycation which sometimes is more fun?!

    God bless you going into the rest of the week.

    Hugs, Viola

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.