Thursday, June 13, 2013

THROWBACK THURSDAY

This picture went up on the Free Library's facebook page.  I thought it was a great picture, so borrowed it, then googled to find a picture of the same spot today.  Well, it's the same corner, just looking in a different direction.  I had a lot of trouble finding it, and this was the best I could do.

The picture is of 13th and Market Streets here in Philly.  This is where Macy's is today.  Many years ago it was Wanamaker's which was THE place to shop.  It has a large statue of an eagle inside on the first floor.  Many, many people would say "Meet you at the eagle" when they would want to find someone.

So here is 13th and Market in 1928:


And here is 13th and Market today:



 Looking at these two I realize it really hasn't changed that much!  The joys of living in a historic city.  I love it!

5 comments:

  1. WOW!! Don't you wish you could just wrinkle your nose and go back in time for a visit? I would never really want to live in another 'time' but I WOULD like to drop in and look around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures. I enjoy looking at old pictures and comparing them to current ones. It always fascinates me. I am not a big city dweller any more though. I like a small town and would actually prefer to be far out in the country. Of course I love the convenience of going into a big city for a day to visit and shop. :-) I read your other post too. Slow down and don't push so hard!! The cleaning can wait, its not going any where.

    Blessings, Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK you got me! I love history and this tickles my fancy bone (or something like that).

    I've got to find me some old pictures of our town and do the same thing!
    Love It!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing old pictures, Kathy. History is very interesting to me. Hope you are have a great Friday.xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many people may not remember,but for a very brief time between Wanamaker's and Macy's it was a Lord & Taylor. They donated floor space to the PSPCA at Christmas time(2006 I think)for a 'Home For the Holidays' adoption event. It worked! I adopted my lhasa apso,
    Crystal,there. She is named for Frosty the snowman's snow-wife.
    Don't tell her though,she thinks it's because she's a gem! Ha Ha
    (she really is)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.