Sunday, January 13, 2013

THE SUNDAY GARDEN...SORT OF

I didn't get to go to church this morning because my stomach was really bothering me.  I was tired when I got home last night and Joe bought us Chinese food for dinner.  It was good, but I guess my stomach didn't think so because I was up and down sick all night.  This morning my stomach was still doing flip flops and I had a lot of pain.  When things settled down some, it was too late to go.

I had a couple of soft-boiled eggs and a cup of tea for breakfast.  I like soft-boiled eggs, but tend to eat them only when I'm sick.  I guess they are my "comfort food".

I haven't done much of anything except lay around and watch TV.  What a lazy day.  But I guess I need a lazy day now and then.  I watched some more of the Mummer's Parade.  The last of the comic divisions was the Froggy Carr group.  How funny they were!  They were running around, carrying signs, yelling "Who dat?  Froggy Carr!", and just generally ignoring all the rules and doing whatever they wanted.  It was the largest group with over 700 members.  I was laughing so hard at them.


  
It was such a beautiful day weather-wise.  I did go out in the yard for awhile and didn't even need a jacket.  I filled the bird feeder with seed and relocated it nearer to the house.  No birds have been there yet, so I may have to move it back to where it was.  One of my customers at work said his plants were starting to come up already.  I looked, but my plants weren't up.  The ground is brown and frozen and looking like winter.  But surprise, I had two roses out there.  I've never seen roses in January before.

But what I want to show you are my trees.  My co-worker Diane gave me two crepe myrtle trees about a month ago.  I was going to plant  them outside, but was afraid they would freeze.  They were just two sticks about a foot high with some roots.  So I put them in a pot and have been keeping them in the kitchen on the floor and watering them once a week.  They must think it is summer because they started to grow and put out leaves.  I moved them today to the front window where it will get more light.
 I figure on planting them outside around the beginning of April.  I have wanted a tree for the yard for years, ever since the people in back of me cut down all their trees and took all the shade from my yard.  These trees are supposed to grow to only 10-15 feet and have flowers so I think they are perfect for the small space I have.  I took both trees because I thought one of them would probably die, but they both look good.  I'll let you know how they do.

7 comments:

  1. I like how you linger and take in all the elements of the parade.
    Great way to really enjoy something worth while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having seen your yard,I look forward to the trees being planted
    and growing strong! My hyacinths
    are sending up green shoots about
    3 inches high.Hope they don't freeze....
    Sorry to hear about your tummy.
    Isn't it funny what can taste good at a time like that? I make up
    mashed potatoes...oh well. Feel better soon,my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yucky, hope your tummy feels better soon. I LOVE Chinese food but don't eat it often. Every time I do, I'm hungry within an hour of finishing!

    Roses in January- that is unreal!

    Hope you have a good day dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy!
    Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. I hope now you are much better.

    I'm glad it's nicer there than it is here in Vegas. I want it to warm up so bad!

    Hope the rest of your week is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you feel better! those boiled eggs looked good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops I was not done yet and my finger pressed publish.. yikes!!! I wanted to say I love parades I wish we could have big ones here!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.