Monday, December 3, 2012

GINGERBREAD

Tonight I decided I was going to make gingerbread for tomorrow's Bible Study.  I have loved my great-grandmother's gingerbread for as long as I can remember.  It was like a cake and always so soft and good.  Lots of molasses and ginger in it.  So with it being the Christmas season I decided that was what I was going to make.

Now I have never made gingerbread.  Eaten, lots of times.  But made, never.  How hard can it be?  I have the recipe.  So I get all the ingredients together.

First it calls for separating eggs.  OK.  I can do this.  I haven't done it in a long time, but it comes out perfect.  But then, I haven't any idea how to put things together.  Joe the baker comes to my aid.  We get it all mixed up, put it in a pan and stick it in the oven.  I don't have a temperature or time, so I take a guess.  Then I sit down to watch some TV while it bakes.

You guessed it, I fell asleep.  I slept only about 15 minutes.  What woke me up was a burned gingerbread smell from the kitchen.  I took it out and it doesn't look burned.  I cut it into pieces and took one to try.  The inside of the cake is good except that there isn't enough ginger in it.  But the bottom is hard as a rock and tastes burnt.  So now I am going to have to cut the bottom off of each piece.  I should learn to not make new things for others until I make it for myself first.  *Sigh*

5 comments:

  1. Do you have any idea how many dinners I've failed at? Having lost my mother when I was 9,I learned to cook from my dad.I would undercook the veggies,overcook the meat....the hardest is getting it all done together.My dad ate every one..bless him!! No big deal.Those too picky to appreciate the effort doesn't deserve them.
    Save me some!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always trying new recipes. I fail a lot! At least you could save part of it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me in the mood for some Gingerbread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I you should give yourself an "A" for effort! :) I've never tried making it, but it sure sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Well, at least you can cut off the bottom. I wonder what went wrong. I have never tried gingerbread cake, only the cookies. I have often thought about trying to bake a gingerbread cake. There's a recipe in one of my favorite cook books that I keep eyeing up. I think you have peaked my interest and I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.