Thursday, November 1, 2012

HALLOWEEN AND OTHER THINGS

I'm giving you two posts today to sort of make up time.  Hurricane Sandy has been so devastating to so many people.  I had no work on Monday or Tuesday.  Joe had a doctor appointment in Huntingdon Valley so I was able to take him.  The torn up trees and broken utility poles and power lines we saw was amazing.  Some of the trees along the sidewalks had gone down and taken huge chunks of cement sidewalk with it.  Unreal.

 As I mentioned, we seemed to be spared the worst of the storm.  But we still got it.



The wind was wicked, but not as bad as where my sister is in northern New Jersey.  She said it sounded like a freight train was going through her house and she thought the back wall was going to blow right in.  Continue to pray for her.  She still has no power, heat, etc. and it may be another two weeks or more until she does.  Power lines are down all around her.  Even where she works doesn't have heat so she can't even get warm there.  And because the gas pumps are out when her car runs out of gas, that's it.

We finally heard from the Caro family.  They are in bad shape too.  No electric, heat, gas either.  Please pray for them also.

You can see from this picture that our yard came through fairly well.  The trellis is a little broken, but that's not bad.  I put my glass gazing ball away, so that didn't get broken.  Tomorrow I will try to put things back into place in the yard.

   
I was so glad to see some blue sky yesterday, even though it clouded up later.


We had fun at work yesterday.  Some of the employees dressed up for the kids.  I find it hard to do my job in costume, but I was wearing a Halloween t-shirt.

Jerry the ghoul in his office.


Bob as the wicked killer baby.


Joan as the jester.  I love her golden slippers.


Sheila as the Mardi Gras queen.


Kathy as the library assistant supervisor.


Jerry, Sheila, Bob and Joan


Tom as "Father Tom".


Marquita and Juliana.
  I stopped at Sonic on the way home for their 50 cent corn dogs.  I had never had a corn dog before.  It was good!

We sat outside for awhile to hand out candy, but it was just too cold.  Especially after freezing at work all day, I just had to get warm.  So we ended up going inside.

Our front window.

  In spite of it being so cold, it was a nice evening.  More blue sky.

I have off from work tomorrow to take Joe to two doctor appointments.  Then I have the weekend off.  Pastor Justin is in Rhode Island at his grandfather's funeral.  Elder Rich was supposed to give the message, but he lives on Staten Island and can't get there, so Joe is preaching.  He has a sore throat, so pray that he can get through the message.

So that's it for today.  See my "calendar page" post below this.  Hopefully I will be able to post this weekend.  But not having internet is nothing compared to the way a lot of people are just trying to survive.  Until next time.

4 comments:

  1. Kathy, I'm so glad you guys are staying safe. What a horrible mess that is going on. I've been thinking about you and hoping all is OK.

    Sounds like you did enjoy your Halloween at work. Great costumes! I think it's always fun to dress up. :)

    Your window looked so cute all decorated up.

    Steve and I stayed home and passed out candy. Jeven and her friend dressed up and went and walked around with a bunch of their friends.

    Hope everyone get their power back on soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you & Joe are ok. Hope the doctor visit went well too.I'll Keep all family/friends in prayer.
    It is devastating what the damage is.I never thought about the high rises in NY,people stranded without food,water or elevators to get out.Every news-
    cast has a heartbreaking story.
    I saw the sand 2feet deep (like snow) at the shore! I hope I don't take water,lights or any of my daily things for granted again.They
    are blessings and may we share them with those who've lost everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the costumes your friends wore...and your Great Pumpkin tshirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't believe how much devastation Sandy called. There are so many suffering and my thoughts and prayers are with each and every one of them.

    You look cute in your Halloween Tee! I think it's awesome your library does such neat things like dressing up.

    Hope you have a nice week ahead friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.