Thursday, August 30, 2012

WHAT I'M READING


A STOLEN LIFE: A MEMOIR by Jaycee Dugard (2011)




About the book:

In the summer of 1991 I was a normal kid. I did normal things. I had friends and a mother who loved me. I was just like you. Until the day my life was stolen.

For eighteen years I was a prisoner. I was an object for someone to use and abuse. For eighteen years I was not allowed to speak my own name. I became a mother and was forced to be a sister. For eighteen years I survived an impossible situation.

On August 26, 2009, I took my name back. My name is Jaycee Lee Dugard. I don't think of myself as a victim. I survived.

A Stolen Life is my story -- in my own words, in my own way, exactly as I remember it.

My thoughts:
What a book! I cannot say enough good about this. I was hesitant to read it because I thought it would be sad, depressing, victimizing. It is not at all. This is a story of strength. It is a story of surviving the worst possible things that life can hand you. It is inspirational. So glad I read it. But the story stayed with me for days and days. I could not get it out of my head. Still can't some days although I think of it less often. Imagine having your whole life stolen by a madman. I'm so glad her life has had the ending thus far that it has. Despite this I highly recommend you read this book.

3 comments:

  1. Of COURSE you are reading!!! Books are your business......and one of your loves!

    I ALWAYS have a book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot even begin to imagine what that poor girl went through. I'm SO GLAD she's a survivor. What a story she must tell!

    PS--I'm your newest follower! Thanks for becoming a follower on my blog too!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I watched that movie! Such a sad story :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.