Thursday, July 19, 2012

WHAT I'M READING

HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE by J.K. Rowling (2000)


About the book:

You have in your hands the pivotal fourth novel in the seven-part tale of Harry Potter's training as a wizard and his coming of age.  Harry wants to get away from the pernicious Dursleys and go to the International Quidditch Cup with Hermione, Ron, and the Weasleys.  He wants to dream about Cho Chang, his crush (and maybe do more than dream).  He wants to find out about the mysterious event that's supposed to take place at Hogwarts this year, an event involving two other rival schools of magic, and a competition that hasn't happened for a hundred years.  He wants to be a normal, fourteen-year-old wizard.  Unfortunately for Harry Potter, he's not normal -- even by wizarding standards.
     And in his case, different can be deadly.

My thoughts:

This is, indeed, the pivotal book of the series.  I got really engrossed in it even though I knew the ending.  The books get darker and darker.  The plot gets thicker and thicker.  Characters are introduced and killed off.  Such a sad book.  And such a good story.

2 comments:

  1. I never finished reading this book...I was on a roll, years ago, reading the Harry Potter series, and when I got to this one, I never finished...I know it's good...I'm not saying that..but now since I've seen the movies, I haven't picked the book back up. Maybe I will one of these days. Right now I am reading Water For Elephants. I just started the other day,...I'm not very far along, but I can tell by the writing that I am really going to enjoy this book! Have you ever read it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, haven't read it but heard very good things about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.