Monday, July 23, 2012

WHAT A DAY!

This has been quite a day.  Jerry was off today and so was Diane.  So we were really shorthanded.  Of course this meant that everything happened.

To begin with, we got a delivery.  This is a good thing.  But we usually get 2-3 totes of books to check in.  They have been returned to other libraries or people have requested them to come to us from another branch.  It takes about an hour to check in each tote.  Well, since it was just Bob and me there today we got 10 totes!  You read that right.  Ten!!!  It was all we did all day.  Thank goodness our volunteer was in and did a lot of shelving for us.  We wouldn't have been able to do without him.  When Marquita came in for the last 2 hours it helped a lot.

Then there were the kids.  They were so rude and unruly.  One little girl screamed and cursed at me because I told her to pick up some candy that she and her brother were throwing at each other.  So I did some throwing myself.  I threw them both along with their friend out of the library.  Walt, our guard, told me he was proud of me.  Ha!

Then there were the adults.  Sheila was told she was rude because she told a lady that she was sorry she couldn't get on a particular computer because the lady was an hour and a half late for her reservation.  The lady is going to report Sheila and "make sure she is fired."

Working with the public is no fun.  You will notice my retirement ticker at the bottom of the page.  I am counting down the days to when I can get out of there.

As you can tell I am very frustrated today.  I am sure not all libraries are like that.  I am hoping when I retire I can volunteer at a nice quiet library with nice quiet people.  I think any library would welcome a volunteer who has worked at a library for 20 years.  My vacation next week is looking better and better.

1 comment:

  1. Just thinking the word vacation seems to bring relief.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.