Monday, July 30, 2012

SISTERS' WEEK VACATION -- DAY THREE (MONDAY)

We got a late start today because I was trying to get everything together for Joe before I left.  I made him breakfast, did dishes, made phone calls and made two chicken salad sandwiches for his dinner.

But Elaine and I finally got on the road and headed out to Lancaster.  It's so great to be here.  So beautiful and peaceful.

The first place we went to was Kitchen Kettle.  It's a "village" of cute little stores.  We love going there.  There was something new there this year -- a beautiful fountain.  I took Elaine's picture in front of it.

Then we headed to the Christmas store.  Every year we go there to pick out an ornament.  This year I got a nativity scene made from olive wood from Bethlehem.  I forgot to take a picture of it, but take my word for it, it's gorgeous.  I went outside to wait for Elaine and listen to the musicians.

We saved the Jam and Relish Kitchen for last.  We always end up spending too much money and buying too much stuff in there.

  I got some hickory smoke barbeque sauce, some apple butter, and a jar of peach ginger jelly that tastes almost as good as my great-grandmother's.  I bought it because it reminded me so much of hers.  The store has open jars of their product and little dishes of oyster crackers all around that you can taste their things before you buy it.  One thing we tasted was called "Cheesecake in a Jar."  It was sort of like sweet cream cheese.

Elaine saw this and had me stand in the picture frame to take my picture.  Yummie the gingerbread boy is the mascot of Kitchen Kettle.  Does it look like a postcard?

We checked into our motel and got settled in.  Here is the view from our window.

We went to dinner at the Bird-in-Hand Restaurant.  



Elaine had a veggie platter -- tossed salad, baked potato, broccoli with cheese sauce, and batter dipped fried zucchini.  I had a slice of ham loaf with gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans.  So good.  We looked around the store attached to the restaurant a little bit, but didn't buy anything. 

Instead we went to Rockvale Mall.  It is all outlet stores.  I got Joe two pair of pants in the Hager store.  He has lost so much weight that he has had to buy all new clothes.  Then in Reading China and Glass I got some K cups for the Keurig.  So all in all it was a good day.

We are planing on going back to Rockvale in the morning to go to several other stores and then we have tickets to a show at Sight-and-Sound Theater.  It is "Jonah" and is supposed to be wonderful.


1 comment:

  1. Okay I'm behind on Sister's Week but I'm going back right now to read every single post!!! From the looks of this post, you all are having a blast. Anything that includes shopping, little villages and good food sounds like fun to me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.