Tuesday, May 1, 2012

THYME




Do you like thyme? I love it. Growing up we didn't use a lot of herbs and I didn't even know what it was.

According to Wikipedia thyme has an interesting history.

“Ancient Egyptians used thyme for embalming. The ancient Greeks used it in their baths and burnt it as incense in their temples, believing it was a source of courage. The spread of thyme throughout Europe was thought to be due to the Romans, as they used it to purify their rooms and to 'give an aromatic flavor to cheese and liqueurs'. In the European Middle Ages, the herb was placed beneath pillows to aid sleep and ward off nightmares. In this period, women would also often give knights and warriors gifts that included thyme leaves, as it was believed to bring courage to the bearer. Thyme was also used as incense and placed on coffins during funerals, as it was supposed to assure passage into the next life.”

I've never used thyme to embalm anyone or placed it on a coffin. I haven't used it in my bath, burnt it as incense or used it to purify a room. I don't think I feel more courageous after eating it, but I really should try it under my pillow to see if it brings good dreams.

Thyme is one of my favorite herbs. I first used it in my Irish stew recipewhen I was a teenager. Hmm. Pretty good. I use it in lots of things now.

Here are some thyme recipes for you to try:

Thyme Biscuits

2 Cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Teaspoon salt
8 Tablespoons butter
3/4 Cup buttermilk
1 Whole egg, beaten
2 Tablespoons fresh
thyme, chopped
Preheat oven to 425F. Sift together dry ingredients. Cut butter into mixture,
but do not overwork.  Stir in milk, egg, and thyme. Turn dough onto floured
bread board. Knead a dozen times. Roll dough into golf-ball-size balls. Bake
on an ungreased cookie sheet for 12-14 minutes, until done. Serve hot.
Yield: 12-16 biscuits.
RON ZIMMERMAN, THE HERB FARM

Lucia's Olive Oil & Herb Dressing

2/3 Cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 Cup wine vinegar or rice wine vinegar
1 Small clove garlic, Minced
1/4-1/2 Teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
1/4 Teaspoon white pepper (optional)
1/2 Teaspoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon each: minced fresh thyme,
oregano, summer savory, basil, dill,
and parsley
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly with a fork or whisk.
Place in a sealed jar,cover, and set aside for 30 minutes. Refrigerate until
ready to use. Shake well to fully suspend herbs before using. Yield: 1 1/4 Cup.
LUCIA BETTLER, LUCIA'S GARDEN


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.