Saturday, May 26, 2012


Yesterday was my last Friday at the Fishtown Community Library until next fall.  During the summer months Richmond Branch is open on Fridays and closed on Saturdays.  So we work our five days at our home branch.  When we reopen on Saturdays in the fall, I will go back to spending most Fridays at Fishtown.

It was a very slow day and had enough people there that I didn't have to do so much.  Most of the day I spent reading blogs and facebook because there was nothing to do.  It was very hot in the workroom because the air conditioning wasn't working.  I started feeling sick sitting up there.

Last week for my Friday View I showed you the outside of the Fishtown Branch.  This week I thought I'd show you the inside.

 This is the Children's section. It has a blue neon light to make the waves and the fish are wooden cut outs.  It's so bright and cheerful.

 The second floor is the fiction, new books, teens, and books on CD.  The after-school program kids made these fish a couple of years ago.  They are made out of a paper plate.  The staff then made a scene out of them that runs all around the bottom of the balcony.

Here is the view from the front door.  The circulation desk is to the right of what you are seeing.  You can see how very small it is.  Think of a 700 sq. ft. house and you have it.  The downstairs has the non-fiction books and CDs in the front, magazines, DVDs, reference books in the middle and the children's books, DVDs and CDs in the back.  They make the most of the little space they have.

The reason I did not post this yesterday is that I spent most of the evening in the Emergency Room.  My left foot has been swollen and hurting.  But yesterday when I got home from work my whole leg was swollen also and I was in pain.  I called the doctor and he told me he would not be in until Tuesday and couldn't treat me over the phone without seeing it.  He told me to go to the ER.  Joe was sick so my friend Carole took me.  I was there from 7 p.m. to midnight.  The doctors took X-rays and did an ultra sound to check for blood clots, but everything was OK.  The only thing they could come up with was edema aggravated by the heat and the fact that most of my job is spent on my feet.  They gave me ice to put on it and elevated it the whole time I was there (I was in a nice comfy recliner).  By the time I left all the swelling had gone down.  It is still OK today, but I am taking aspirin for the pain.

I am still getting nauseous and I really think that is from the heat.  We really have to get our air conditioners in the windows and turn them on.  We went to Shop-Rite today and I had to sit in the restaurant while Joe shopped because I felt so sick.  The A/C in there made me feel better.

I have LOTS of cleaning to do.  We are having friends over on Monday and the house is a mess.  And I do mean a mess.  Some things have to go on even if I'm not 100%.  Take care friends, and have a good weekend.


  1. What a nice looking Library.
    How fun!

    You take care, relax and enjoy the day off.

  2. The library looks cozy.It was a neat idea to hang the crafts.i think it looks sharp!
    It was really cool you got a recliner,though I am sorry you were there in the first place.I will keep you in my prayers for healing.Try to relax & elevate it when you can.

  3. Your library is outstanding!!!

    So sorry about your foot and hope you are better soon! I guess much of the country is experiencing some pretty hefty doses of HEAT! We expect it here in Texas! I like to think the states up north are a bit cooler!


Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. I often reply to your comments, so feel free to check back.