Saturday, May 5, 2012

ARE YOU AN INFLUENCE?

I was just thinking about all the people who have influenced my life.  There are so many -- many of them home with the Lord now -- who really made a difference.

I am thinking especially of a dear woman named Roberta Hall.  She was such a special lady and for some unknown reason has been on my mind all day.  She knew my mom when Mom was a little girl.  She was probably old enough to be my grandmother.  In fact, she was like a grandmother to me.

Miss Hall never married nor had any children, but she had many children who loved her.  They would flock around her because she told the best stories of anyone around.  And not just children loved her stories -- we all did no matter how old we were.  Funny, suspenseful, serious, but always told with her own special brand of love.

When I was in my 30s I used to tell Miss Hall that I wanted to be just like her when I grew up.  She was about 85 when I said that and she told me not to get the aches and pains of old age, but I could tell she was really touched by what I said.

Miss Hall died when she was in her 90s.  What a great lady she was.  It has been many years since I was in her presence, but I still miss talking with her and listening to her words of wisdom.

It makes me wonder if I am an influence for good to anybody.  I sure hope I am.  I don't think I'm nearly as good as I should or could be.  I see all the sins in my life.  But I hope that God can use me in some small way to advance His kingdom here on earth unworthy though I am.

2 comments:

  1. That is a goog thought.I guess a lot of people contributed to who I am today;my aunt,stepmother, friends. I too would hope to be a positive influence on others. As for being better? We are all trying to be better than we were.
    That is something to try for each day.Thankfully the Lord covers us in grace & mercy.
    For the record,you've been a good influence on me & I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU Deb. We have been such good friends for so long that I'm sure we've influenced each other in many ways that we're not even aware of. Thanks for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.