Sunday, November 20, 2011

PIE AND PRAISE 2011

Tonight was the Third Annual Pie and Praise at church.  It is our annual Thanksgiving service.  The first hour is given over to praise songs, scripture reading, testimonies and prayer.  The second hour is for eating pies.  Everyone brings a pie (or 2 or 3).

I made a pumpkin spice pudding pie and a sugar-free pumpkin pie.  The pudding pie turned out great.  However with the sugar-free pie I didn't realize until it was baking that I used too much splenda.  Joe said all you could taste was sweetness and no spices or pumpkin.  So I left it home.

When we got to church, there weren't enough pies so I ended up leaving and going to Shop Rite and getting an apple pie (which was out of this world) and a sugar-free pumpkin pie.  They really get you with the sugar-free stuff.  The sugar-free pie cost 3 times what the sweetened one did.  By the time I got back the service was almost over.


I was looking back to last year's Pie and Praise entry on this blog.  You can see it here.  What a difference a year makes.  I was so sick back then and waiting for the surgery.  I couldn't even eat anything.


Here are some pictures from the service tonight.


One of our elders, Shaun, read the scripture.  His baby, Kate, wouldn't stop crying unless he held her, so she was up there also.  It was so cute.




Pastor Justin led the singing.




One of our other elders, my husband Joe, gave the closing prayer.


The pies.  Coconut custard, key lime, chocolate mousse, apple, and pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin!


Sydney and Joe were having a deep discussion.  You know it was a good conversation because Joe hasn't even touched his pie.  (ha, ha)


The line forms to the rear.


Pastor Justin and his wife Cherie.  One of the nicest couples I know.  And I'm not just saying this because he reads my blog.


I wonder who this cute couple is.  We're both smiling, but we're both sick.  Joe is running a fever again.  I'm going to insist he goes back to the doctor this week.  I'm just so tired and fighting a headache.  But we got there and we had a good time.

Have a good night everyone.  Busy week this week, but at least it's a short work week.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know Shop Rite had a sugar free pumpkin pie. I'll have to look for it at Christmas when I have Phyllis a nd Fred for dinner ( both diabetics) Thanks for letting me know. Tell Joe he has to get better for Elaine's turkey. Glad you had a good time. It looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't kidding about pies, pies, PIES! Something for everyone! It sounds like a good time was had by all.

    It seems a cliche, but a year can make a big difference. I remember what you went through... A thought just occured to me as I'm writing, wouldn't it be great if we would take a moment when we're upset/facing decisions & think 'What will this be like a year from now?'

    Perspective ........something to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun name for the Thanksgiving service, Pie and Praise.

    Sorry you are feeling well, sending up some prayers for you and Joe.

    What a wonderful and thoughtful person you are to go and get more pies. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a really nice thing to do at church. Sorry you missed most of the service running out to the store! All those pies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to celebrate Thanksgiving!

    I just got home yesterday and I found the lovely pot holders from you! How very special they are! I will take a pic and put it in my next blog post!

    Thank you again!! I will hang them and admire them but I probably won't use them...they are too pretty! I want them to last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like fun ... all the pies sound yummy.

    Thanks for sharing :-)

    ~Val

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.