Friday, October 21, 2011

FRIDAY VIEWS


Can you tell how I feel now that my seven day week is finished?  Yes!  I have two whole days off from work.

Today was my first Friday back at the Fishtown Branch.  It was very, very slow.  But it was just what I needed.  It was also very nice seeing the people there again and being able to talk with them.

Of all things I was late today.  I left on time, but I hit every single red light the whole way there.  And when I got there, there was no parking and some streets were closed off for repair so I drove around and around for 10 minutes until I saw somewhere to park.  So I was 5 minutes late.  Sigh.

For my Friday views this week I thought I would show you some pictures Joe took when we went to the VA Hospital.  It is of the Philadelphia skyline.  Even though I talk about moving out of the city, I really am a city girl.  I was driving, so it was good Joe was the one taking the pictures.  (Ha, ha!)

 
Here we are on I-95 heading toward center city.


Even though I do not use I-95 to get to work, every day I see these buildings as I drive on the neighborhood streets.   The two buildings on the left are Liberty Place Two and One.  The tallest one on the right is the new Comcast Tower.  Sorry to say I don't know what the other two buildings are.  Can any of my Philly friends tell me? [My friend, Russ, says the one with the pyramid on top is the Blue Cross Building -- see comment from Debra.]


At one time City Hall (the building on the left with the statute of William Penn on it) was the tallest building in Philadelphia.  No one would make a building taller.  But there was no law stating a building couldn't be taller than William Penn's hat.  It was a gentleman's agreement.  There was a big to-do when Liberty One was built and it was taller.  Now we have the Comcast Tower which is the tallest building in the city.  How things change!

Hope you enjoyed today's views of the city.

2 comments:

  1. The skyline is really beautiful!
    It's so much fun to see other cities. That's the beauty of blogging! I can visit cities that I wouldn't of, otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ thinks the building with the pyramid top is the Blue Cross Building. He's not sure about the other one but perhaps an insurance building?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.