Sunday, October 23, 2011

COMMUNITY SPONSORED AGRICULTURE -- WEEK #22

Today was a very busy day.  There was so much to do.  We began by heading for the farm.

 

Greensgrow Farms is in the Fishtown section of Philadelphia, sort of between the two libraries I work at.  It's located at Cumberland and Almond Streets.  You don't think of Philly having a farm in the middle of the city, but here it is.  If you live around here I highly recommend visiting.  Even if you aren't a member, you can still buy from the Farmer's Market and that is great in and of itself.




The farm was all decorated for the fall and looked so great.  I asked if I could take some pictures for my blog and they were very happy to let me take anything I wanted.

This was outside of the greenhouse...


And this was inside.

Here's some more of the outside decorations.


These mums were for sale and they were beautiful.

And pumpkins were everywhere.


So anyway, here is what we got in our share this week.
 
     1 head of broccoli
     2 lbs. sweet onions (they were so big we got only 2!)
     8 yellow pears
     1 head of lettuce
     1 bunch of turnip greens
     2 lbs. of cranberries
     1 fennel bulb
     1/2 gallon of apple cider
     1 dozen eggs
     1 piece herbed cheese

And at the farmer's market we got:
     1 spaghetti squash
     1 Asian pear
     1 head of cauliflower

After we left the farm we got gas for the week, went to Pathmark and got our food order, stopped to get Joe's dry cleaning and went to Rite Aid and got our Halloween candy.  I can't believe Halloween is so close.  At least we are all set now.

When we got home we ate lunch and then Frank our yard guy came over.  He gave the lawn a last cut for the winter and then he cut back the hydrangea and the ivy and I cut back the rose bushes.  I picked the last of the tomatoes and he pulled up the plants for me and stacked the cages.  The yard is all set for the winter now.  It is always a sad time for me to see things like this.  It has gotten really cold out and it's not even nice to sit out there anymore.  It's like going to sleep for several months until it gets warm again and the yard comes to life.  I will show you garden pictures tomorrow.  But since it is after 1 a.m. I had better get to bed so I can get up for church tomorrow.  Until then...

1 comment:

  1. You know it's late Fall when you cut back the plants. I agree, it's a sad time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.