Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A BUSY DAY

Being short-handed at the library stinks.  It is so hard to do the work of 4 people with 2 1/2 (no, not a half a person, a part-timer).  We just do not have the time to do what needs to be done.  We all try our best, but at this point Diane and I are just plain burnt out.  By the end of the day we just don't care if we get things done or not.  All of us end up counting down the last hour of work.

To top this off we have been having lots of phone calls.  Not just plain calls you understand, but the kind I've spoken of before.  For instance there was one I had today from a woman who wanted to know what our hours were.  I said that we closed at 5 p.m. today.  She said, "I don't care what time you close, what time did you open?"  I told her 10 a.m. although by this time it was 2 p.m. so I really didn't see what difference it made.  OK.

The best call though was from a teenaged boy who asked if we had the book The Color of Clear Waters.  I said, "You mean The Color of Water?"  "Yeah," he said.  "That one."  I told him we had three copies of it.  He said thanks and hung up.  A few minutes later he called back and asked if we had The Lost Boy.  I told him yes we had that one too.  Then he asked if he gave me his library card number if I could check them out to him and deliver them to his house.  Uh, sure.  Be right there.  Where do these people come from?  It sure makes my job interesting.

6 comments:

  1. Now, why couldn't you deliver those books to that poor boy?? Maybe you could have brought him a pizza too! Ha Ha!! LOL, just kidding! Oh, I can just imagine all of the calls you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I think it's a full moon, Kathy. We have had them at Cracker Barrel too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bonnie: Now why didn't I think of a pizza? So inconsiderate of me. LOL.

    @Marion (anonymous): I'm sure you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the pizza. Speaking of delivery, don't talk too loud. Somebody may decide that a bookmobile is a super idea.... shhhh... It's all about service.... I can understand the frustration of days like that.
    However,at least your job is never dull! Ha ha !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, they already have bookmobiles going around.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.