Friday, June 24, 2011

THE APRON

I saw this in a blog that I was reading and borrowed it.  It made me think of my grandmother who always wore an apron.  I don't think I ever saw her without one until she got sick and wasn't able to do for herself anymore.  An apron was so much a part of her life that one time she actually forgot she had it on and wore it to a doctor's appointment.  Oops!

The History of Aprons

I don't think our kids know what an apron is. The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath.  Because she only had a few, it was easier to wash aprons then dresses.  But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears and on occasion it was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished warming in the oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow while bent over the hot wood stove... chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron, too.

From the garden it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew that it was time to come in from the fields for dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace the 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

4 comments:

  1. Your comments really took me back in time.I remember my grandmother
    wearing one.There was something comforting about being held & tears
    dried by the apron. Thank you for bringing back some very happy
    memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this post!! I am in love with aprons! I have four aprons, but I don't wear them all the time like they did in the olden days. I think I should though..after reading this! You know, until I read your post, I never really thought about it that it was really to protect your dress because you only had a few! I mean, I don't mean to sound dumb, I know they had much less back then than we do now. But I never really thought about it. Of course it wasn't the only thing it served for...I just love all the things that are listed that it was good for! You are making me want to go put on one of my aprons and wear it all day!! I really am such an old fashioned person at heart! Anyhow, I wear my aprons when I cook something that is going to be fried, like burgers or bacon, or when I am doing something with spaghetti sauce! Also, if I'm doing dishes, I have a rubber apron I wear sometimes so my clothes don't get soaked!! You can see me in it on the header of my blog! Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Debbie - Glad it brought back happy memories. It did for me too.

    @Bonnie - What a great response. Thanks. Now I want to go wear an apron too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. I wear my aprons all the time. I guess I am a messy cook.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.