Wednesday, June 8, 2011

BUSY DAY

It was very hot there today.  Up around 97 degrees.  The mayor closed all the schools in the city at 1:30 p.m. so the library was full of kids.  And I do mean full.  They were loud.  And I do mean loud!  When I was a kid I was afraid to whisper in a library.  What happened to those days?  But they weren't bad or destructive or anything.  It just gets loud with 30-50 kids all talking at the same time.  I guess a lot of parents were working and the library was a safe, cool place to be,

I had a lot of energy today.  I got a lot done.  I couldn't figure out why I was moving around like I was until I realized I had been drinking caffeinated iced tea.  Apparently that is the secret to my success!  Ha, ha!

I was so tired tonight so we went and got hoagies for dinner.  I was going to cook, but this was a nice treat.

You know on a day like this there had to be a strange phone call.  Here it is:

Me:  Richmond Library.
Man:  Is this the Free Library of Philadelphia, Port Richmond Branch?
Me:  Yes, it is.  (Knowing this is a salesman, just by the way he is speaking)
Man:  Oh, good!  Could I speak to the owner please?
Me:  The library is owned by the City of Philadelphia.
Man:  It is?  Oh, well then I need to speak to the mayor.  Is he there?
Me:  No, his office is at City Hall.
Man:  Oh, well I'll call there.  I want to present to him a wonderful offer.  Thanks for your help.  (Hangs up.)

Yes, the heat brings out the best in everyone, even over the phone.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you just love the way people listen. It dose make for a good luagh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how it is with volume. I am grateful that the library is there for the children. It is reassuring that children still visit the library in this age of video games, tv etc. Horray for books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.