Sunday, May 15, 2011

TOMATOES


I went to the plant sale at the Tacony Branch Library yesterday and got some tomato plants.  I used to work at Tacony and know everyone there so it was nice to visit as well as shop.  I didn't want to lose the tomatoes, so I made sure I planted them in the yard today.  They were $1.50 each or four for $5.00 so I got four:  one each of four different varieties.

I got some old favorites:  The Brandywine for one.

The Brandywine is an heirloom variety and one of my favorites.  It's what a tomato should taste like.

I also got a Better Boy:

As you can see from the picture it is a large tomato and very meaty.  Also very good.  Another heirloom.

One I haven't tried before, but heard of is the Rutgers:

Looks good from the picture.

For the fourth one, I really didn't know what to get.  The lady selling the plants urged me to get a Sugary.  They are grape tomatoes that she said never gets into her house because her grandchildren pick and eat them in the yard.  They are very sweet and good for salads.  So I'm giving them a try.
We'll see how these turn out.  If it is anything like last year, I'll have more tomatoes than I know what to do with.  Guess I'll look up tomato sauce recipes and be cooking a lot.  I love summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.