Monday, May 30, 2011

GARDEN

I have lots of work to do in my garden, but wanted to show you the blooming flowers.  Please just overlook the deadheading I have to do to my rosebushes.




For two years my irises did not bloom.  I kept thinning them out and this year they finally bloomed and did well.  I still have a few out there, but I think their time is almost over.


I love my peace rosebush.  It was here when I moved in.  In fact there were 16 rosebushes in my tiny little yard.  I love roses.  A few bushes have died, and some of those have been replaced.  I have 14 bushes now.  But the peace rose is my favorite.


This is another one of the old rosebushes.  This is the most fragrant rose in the yard.  When you go outside in the spring the whole yard smells of roses -- especially this bush.


This is the one bush that drives me crazy -- my climbing rose.  It was worse when there was nothing for it to climb on.  I had to buy a trellis.  It goes over everything and is uncontrollable.  Again, it was here before I was.  The problem now is that it is entwined with poison ivy.  This is going to be a project for the coming week.  Fortunately I am not allergic to poison ivy, but Joe is so he keeps far, far away.

I was going to work in the yard today, but after working all day I was too tired to do it.  I'll take pictures during the week to show you how it's coming along.

3 comments:

  1. The Peace Rose is my favorite tea-rose too. Mine does not do well in this climate though.

    In the last house we owned, there was an old-fashioned climbing rose; very fragrant and gorgeous roses ... I've never seen anything like it since: it had velvety rosebuds and double blossoms - just beautiful! I eventually allowed it to climb the Apple tree. So pretty.

    I believe it is okay to "top" the climbers :-) They will send out side branches to "bush out" if you keep the top pruned.

    ~Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jelous. My Irises didn't bloom at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your roses are GORGEOUS! I understand about the climbing rose, we have one too. I can relate to Joe as I am highly alergic to poison ivy. If the pollen even blows in my direction....!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.