Wednesday, March 2, 2011

DR. SEUSS

I am Sam.  Sam I am.  Do you want green eggs and ham?

Let's try this again.  I had this post written out.  It took me over a half an hour.  And then the computer lost the whole thing.  So somewhere in cyberspace this post is floating around.  Oh well.

Today we had the Dr. Seuss party at the library.  It was a lot of fun.
When we got in this morning we decorated the building.

  The program started at 3:30 p.m.  By 3:00 p.m. we had over 100 people in the building.  Miss Peggy took the children downstairs for story time around 3:15 p.m.  More and more people kept coming.  By 3:30 p.m. there were over 200 people.  There were so many kids that Peggy had to move the story time upstairs to the main library because they couldn't all fit in the meeting room.  By the time the program started at 4:00 p.m. there were over 300 people there. 


One little girl about 8 years old came in.  She asked if we were giving out Dr. Seuss books.   I told her she would have to wait and see.  We were giving out books as door prizes, but I wanted her to be surprised.   She said she hoped we would because her little brother loved Dr. Seuss but he was too little to read and she wanted some books to read to him.  Aww.  That was so sweet.  Not everyone who comes into the library is strange.

We had three people from the Philadelphia School of Circus Arts come to perform for us.  They were great.  They did juggling, unicycle riding, tightrope walking, and one girl was great using the hula hoop.  The kids loved them.  I did too.






  One of our student interns, Roman, dressed up as The Cat in the Hat.  The kids loved him.  He was really good.  A lot of the parents had cameras and took their kids' pictures with him.

  Miss Joan, our afterschool leader, Stephanie, another of our student interns, and I ended up cutting and wrapping up the cake for the people to take with them.  Even though Peggy, Joan and Stephanie stood at the door and told everyone to take the juice boxes, snacks and cake outside to eat them, I found cake and icing ground into the rug.  Rob, our guard, is going to have quite a time cleaning up tomorrow.  But the cake was really good!
I took 42 pictures.  Some were better than others.  I was standing at the circulation desk about 20 feet from the performers, so I think my little camera did a good job of getting the action.  I hope you enjoyed coming along for my day of Dr. Seuss.  Back to a regular day tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I felt the fun radiating from your pictures! They turned out very
    good, especially the Cat himself. It is so fantastic when people can get together like that. Talk about having a front row seat! The desk was THE place to be!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great event, Congrats to all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like it was so much fun. Your pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.