Thursday, March 3, 2011

BACK TO REALITY

After all the excitement of the Dr. Seuss day, the last two days have been rather quiet.  Yesterday I decided to try again to straighten up the non-fiction room that I am in charge of.  It seems that while I was out no one bothered to shelf-read (putting the books in order) or loosen the crowded shelves, or even put the biography section in order.  I never knew that George Washington came alphabetically before Anne Frank.  I did a lot.  I did a lot more moving books than I should have.  I climbed ladders and stretched to get to the top shelves.  The more I straightened, the more I found out of place and the more I had to move.  I went from 4 books on a book truck to shelve to over 60 books.  Then I started feeling some pain in my stomach and spleen.  So I had to stop and sit down to process some books for awhile.

The result was that last night I was up until 2 a.m. with pain.  It was not fun and I have definitely learned my lesson.  I took it very easy today.  Not that I didn't work, I just didn't go moving tons of books around.

I get so frustrated because I want the room to look nice.  I want people to know someone cares.  I want it to be easy to find a book if you know the call number.  I have been working on it for four weeks now and I am not even half-way through.  I am frustrated because I spent so much time getting it in perfect order before I went out for my surgery and now it is destroyed.  But I have to tell myself that it is not worth my health to get the room in order.

Tomorrow is my Fishtown Branch rotation.  That is always an easy day.  I am looking forward to it.  And then on to the weekend and the farm on Saturday.  The theme this week is Burger Bash.  I know we are getting some ground beef.  Can't wait till it's warm enough to grill out in the yard.  I'll let you know what we get.

5 comments:

  1. I agree. I am so for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to know what you get in your farm day package. That might sound silly, but I think it is interesting!

    I can imagine how frustrated you feel with wanted to do more but you can't. I am so sorry to hear that you were up til 2 am with pain..that is terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand your frustration. Having worked in a file room, take it from me that filing of any sort is an ongoing project. You are right in saying that it is not worth your health.
    Lottsa love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, it doesn't sound silly to me that you are excited about farm day. That is just how I feel. I know from the newsletter that they now have a supplier of grass-fed humanely killed beef. That is good news to me. I also know we are getting some sort of rolls and cheese. I'll let you know tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, I know it is ongoing. I'm just annoyed that it took me 3 months to get it looking good and the people who came in to replace me while I was out didn't care enough to keep it that way. I'll get over it though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.